Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2013, 04:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Ubuntu Tablet: Nexus 7

Has anyone successfully made one of these yet? I am <-> this close to pulling the trigger on a nexus 7 for the purpose of turning it into an Ubuntu tablet, but some insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

This isn"t an answere to your question but a question about your question....
Isn"t Android a fancy distro of Linux already

A live version can be installed on a usb stick but how to change or unlock the boot sequence...there"s the question that needs to be asked!!
Old August 25, 2013, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't call android fancy but I am pretty sure that it is unix based I think the tablets ( correct me if I am wrong) are more like cell phones the laptops the purpose is to make them smaller more mobile so that is why they build android I think that since android uses allot less space than say most linux distros out there then I would just stick with the android and find a place to learn about building your own applications.
Old August 25, 2013, 08:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I wouldn't call android fancy but I am pretty sure that it is unix based I think the tablets ( correct me if I am wrong) are more like cell phones the laptops the purpose is to make them smaller more mobile so that is why they build android I think that since android uses allot less space than say most linux distros out there then I would just stick with the android and find a place to learn about building your own applications.
Linux/Unix can use less than 100mb of space quite easily.
Old August 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
MVP

In a general sense, Android is a Linux distribution. That is, it is a distributable OS built around the Linux kernel.

However, when people say 'Linux distribution', they often really mean 'GNU/Linux distribution'; such as Ubuntu. It's robust and general purpose.

Android is highly customized with no GNU userland. It is fast because it's not robust. It's optimized for specific purposes.

Aside having a kernel in common (not directly relevant to end-user), they're very different beasts. I'm sure there are some who would argue semantics, but Android is not a Unix. It's not even posix compliant.

Last edited by Desiato; August 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old August 25, 2013, 11:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's experimental at this stage: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install

Just seeing if anyone on the forums has done it yet before I try it
Old August 26, 2013, 06:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I did it a few months back, it sucks big time. Not sure how much it's improved since then, but everything about it was just horrible. Didn't perform well, nothing seemed logical to get to (settings and such) and there was just a total lack of apps. I mean I don't use a ton of apps to begin with, but there was just a non-existent selection.

Suffice to say, I put back Android back within a few hours.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah I did it a few months back, it sucks big time. Not sure how much it's improved since then, but everything about it was just horrible. Didn't perform well, nothing seemed logical to get to (settings and such) and there was just a total lack of apps. I mean I don't use a ton of apps to begin with, but there was just a non-existent selection.

Suffice to say, I put back Android back within a few hours.
Was it hard to restore?

Honestly though, as much as I'm a bit paranoid about Google's business plan of mining everybody's data I doubt very much that I'd want to swap the massive selection of decent free apps in the android marketplace for a basic Linux build with just a few apps.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

But it's not even a Linux build per-say. I was expecting a full desktop like Ubuntu, but no, it's their own crummy phone OS just like Mozilla's Firefox OS. I don't know what these companies are thinking. iOS and Android have the market in their hands, there's no way you can enter the market this late in the game with sub-par software. Look at how palmOS/webOS failed, and look at how BB10 is slowly failing too.

And assuming you've flashed custom Android ROMs before and have some knowledge of fastboot and adb commands, it's super easy to flash between things. Of course you lose all your data, but that's not a huge deal.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
But it's not even a Linux build per-say. I was expecting a full desktop like Ubuntu, but no, it's their own crummy phone OS just like Mozilla's Firefox OS. I don't know what these companies are thinking. iOS and Android have the market in their hands, there's no way you can enter the market this late in the game with sub-par software. Look at how palmOS/webOS failed, and look at how BB10 is slowly failing too.

And assuming you've flashed custom Android ROMs before and have some knowledge of fastboot and adb commands, it's super easy to flash between things. Of course you lose all your data, but that's not a huge deal.
Heh... considering my one and only cell phone flips open and still says "Hello Moto" to me, it'd be a safe bet I've never done that.... :)

I'll hold off for something better to come along if it ever does. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP