Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2013, 06:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

So a slight learning curve then, but there's tons of guides/instructions online, so as long as you can read and follow them, you can figure it out
Old August 26, 2013, 07:47 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
So a slight learning curve then, but there's tons of guides/instructions online, so as long as you can read and follow them, you can figure it out
Agreed. Your mucking around with PCs back in the day was way harder than this stuff. The hardest part is learning the terminology, and figuring out the differences between each manufacturer (ie. how Samsung might set up their modem partitions vs. Asus, etc).

XDA is your starting point, and if you feel you have a newbie question to ask then ask over here as XDA has quite the few people who are huge douchbags and expect you to have followed a 100 page thread for weeks before asking a question.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 26, 2013, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Honestly though, as much as I'm a bit paranoid about Google's business plan of mining everybody's data I doubt very much that I'd want to swap the massive selection of decent free apps in the android marketplace for a basic Linux build with just a few apps.
Thing is Canonical isn't much better than Google when it comes to data mining and targeted ads.

You'd be better off going with Firefox/Sailfish. (maybe Tizen)

Ubuntu Touch is still a long ways from becoming the intended desktop PC in mobile form factor, mostly because of carrier support and the cost of high end smartphone hardware. I personally have high hopes for the OS, but I know it's not going to be ready anytime in the near future.
Old August 26, 2013, 10:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Cool, thanks for the info!
Old August 26, 2013, 11:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The reason I wanted to try was I was misinformed; I thought that Ubuntu for a tablet was fairly similar to the desktop distro.

I just want a tablet that isn't spying on my every move, on which I can encrypt my data, and Ubuntu comes with libre office installed making it all I need.

Gonna go cry in the corner now...
Old August 27, 2013, 12:02 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
The reason I wanted to try was I was misinformed; I thought that Ubuntu for a tablet was fairly similar to the desktop distro.
That's the goal. Eventually it will have full desktop support. Currently, it has a full unix shell environment that can be accessed remotely.

I believe Mir will be added to Touch very soon.. Mir is Canonical's controversial new display server for Ubuntu and Ubuntu touch.