Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2013, 06:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cheap way to boost cell signal

Looks like our new basement apartment seems to have very bad bell/virgin mobile reception.

I've briefly looked online to see what options there are to boost cell reception for multiple devices in a home and it seems most are quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone knows any solutions that won't set me back several hundred dollars?
Old August 4, 2013, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A few years ago I remember there being some requests for Rogers to provide femtocells. Not sure whether or not any Canadian carriers actually listened and implemented them though, should check with your provider. You should also check to see if they provide wifi calling or w/e it's called. (I remember Rogers trying to sell this service a few years back)

You could also try wiring an external antenna to a coaxial cable attached to an antenna inside. (you'll need to do research on the frequency of your carry though)
Old August 4, 2013, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Might try something from here.
Old August 4, 2013, 11:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've got a similar issue. The tiny town I live in has virtually 0 reception. I researched a few things and ended up with a Wilson "desktop booster". Turned out that it has like a 3 foot range which is more or less useless. So I ended up getting a proper Wilson booster setup which covers my whole place, but cost over $400...

A cheaper but riskier option might be to try a chinese knock off booster from somewhere like DHGate. Looks like they run about $100. I find that knock offs of electronics like that usually work fine. Just make sure you get 850/1900 band.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old August 5, 2013, 07:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin1706 View Post
I researched a few things and ended up with a Wilson "desktop booster". Turned out that it has like a 3 foot range which is more or less useless. So I ended up getting a proper Wilson booster setup which covers my whole place, but cost over $400...
I bought one of the little Wilson boosters for my trailer while camping and the range is disappointing but it does work if you are right beside it. One thing that does work though is to sit my phone directly beside it and make it into a wireless hotspot. I then use my tablet for surfing and my bluetooth entertainment unit to receive phone calls.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I can't exactly use most those diy ones as they tend to be for a single phone and I need to boost two.

Also the tablet/phone thing I have been doing but we only have one tablet so that leaves one of us without reception to receive phone calls.

To my knowledge of crappy web browsing on one bar on my tablet, doesn't look like most companies in Canada got into femtocell but I'll grrr out today so I can ask them in theirstores
Old August 5, 2013, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My cell phone is totally screwy like that, I get the digital signal then if I move 2 centimetres it will cut out or go into what I think is analog because they it is hard to hear what is being said, my older cell phone never had that problem .
and speaking of cell phones do the still exist just a ordinary cell phone with out the screen because I when my 4 year old flip cell flip phone dies I don't want to have a phone that is huge like most out there and I really hate pocket dialing.
Old August 5, 2013, 01:36 PM
Allstar

There was one of the higher power WIlson signal boosters in teh Buy section for a while. Not sure it it's still there. soulkeeper had it I think?
Old August 6, 2013, 06:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sadly looks like it's been sold a while ago now.

Well it seems that it may just be data I do not have in my basement apartment, received and held a phone call for 10+ minutes without it dropping the conversation (a word or two only when I sat down in a specific spot). If it's only data I don't really care as we use our wifi (when we get it in this place next Monday) instead of our data when in our own home. I just hope that it's just data we lose inside.