Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Mobile Phone Advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/62345-mobile-phone-advice.html)

Arinoth July 26, 2013 12:08 PM

Mobile Phone Advice

Well, my SGS1 has served me well over the past nearly three years, but with my 3 year plan ending at the end of august, I am in the market for a new phone and a new plan.

So far I'm leaning towards Virgin's 40$ plan, as it is a nice well rounded plan, giving me some data (currently I'm on a 500mb plan and never come close to exceeding it) but I'm not sure if there is a better/cheaper one out there with decent data and lower than 40$/month.
Virgin Mobile Plan reference (essentially their gold plan whenever they come out with another deal later in august):
Cell Phone Plans - Mobile Phone Plans Canada - Unlimited Text Plans

What I'm not sure of is what phone to go for, as much as I enjoy my fiancée's S3, I don't really feel like getting a year old phone. Is the S4 worth the added premium and my best bet for a phone for the next 2 or 3 years?

Eluder July 26, 2013 12:15 PM

The HTC One is currently the best phone on the market IMHO. I've used plenty of the latest phones (Q10, Z10, S4, Xperial ZL, etc) and the HTC One overall just provides the best experience.
It has an amazing 1080p screen that is best in class, battery life is quite good, performance is amazing, and build quality and materials are unmatched by any other phone out there, expect the iPhone 5.

JD July 26, 2013 04:10 PM

Nexus 4 seems like the most logical choice. Only $399 outright too.

HTC One would be my other choice, but HTC is typically the worst at pushing out Android updates.

And yeah, seems Virgin Mobile has the best plan for $39. Fido is offering the same as well though if you prefer the Rogers network, but they want $425 for the Nexus 4.

geokilla July 26, 2013 04:29 PM

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/mobil...100gc-1364948/

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bb-ne...-26-a-1364855/

As for updates.. Forget updates. It's all about custom ROMs!

A month ago, I got my Nexus 4 for about $220... Now the price went up, but still a great price and great phone. AND great plan. Get it today!

Arinoth July 26, 2013 07:08 PM

Well updates wouldn't matter to me, I've rooted and been running a custom rom, hell ICS on my SGS1 for 2 years now.

Don't really care whom I'm on as long as it's around/at most 40$/month and I get decent data/plan. I sort of like that it's a 2 year plan with FIDO rather than a 3 year, and it's 0$ on the phone + 75 BB GC. Downside is it expires August 1st so I 'may' have to buy a phone slightly earlier than originally planned.

Jake_HT July 26, 2013 08:06 PM

Nexus 4 is still the best bang for your buck, and even though you're into custom ROMs, the nexus 4 is still the best bet in that department, they're stable FAR sooner, much more development options, and it's all based off of official google releases, so you don't have to deal with certain things not working, random reboots, etc.. In the past my non nexus phones have been nothing but complete frustration when waiting for updates, even though I'm an avid custom ROM and kernel flasher. I'm still dealing with this BS with my sisters GS2 (i9100).

For example I'm running an official stock rooted 4.3 right now, it released 2 days ago. Cyanogenmod for the N4 will be stable enough for daily use in about 2 weeks.

Nexus 4 is great for the price, my only complaint is battery life. If you can hold out until november the new Nexus phone will be out and that's probably going to just be icing on the already sweet cake (see the new nexus 7!)

The new moto X (announced in less than a week) looks promising and priced similarly to the nexus 4. I'm liking what I'm seeing of the leaks so far. That's worth considering.

HTC one and Galaxy S4 are great phones yes, but if you're looking to keep it for 2-3 years I just can't really recommend it. Very nice hardware, lacking software (in MY opinion) and lagged updates, even for custom ROM persons. This will be really obvious 2 years down the road, HTC tends to completely abandon phones after about 6 months, it's a complete joke. The HTC one X? Forget about updates. One x+? Same thing. Droid DNA? yeah, still waiting... Every phone before that has had update problems too.. I just don't trust them to keep a phone current for more than a few months... Samsung has been great about updating *most* devices, but you're still basically waiting for the newest android release to get the last one.. It's silly. Smartphones are doubling in speed every year, and if you're waiting a year for updates, that's just not acceptable. I believe android 5.0 should be a pretty substantial release come end of year (last few have been minor) and the people having to wait 6+ months for the update are going to be pretty envious.

I sound like a nexus fanboy and I am, google is releasing solid hardware lately, with prices that cannot be competed with, and yes you're into flashing custom ROMs, that just makes the nexus experience that much more valuable.

Get the N4, you can sell it when the new nexus comes out and upgrade for probably $100-$150 difference. Say that for any other current high end device..

:thumb:

enaberif July 26, 2013 08:44 PM

N4 you have to be careful some screens have a VERY bluish tone to them and is very distracting.

I would go for the S4 for the upgradeable memory and replaceable battery if needed

Arinoth July 26, 2013 09:19 PM

I've never come close to exceeding the 8GB my SGS1 has, also have a 8GB micro SD card so storage is not an issue to me.

Jake_HT July 26, 2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 721781)
I've never come close to exceeding the 8GB my SGS1 has, also have a 8GB micro SD card so storage is not an issue to me.

I should also mention that coming from an SGS1 upgrading to a current higher end phone, you WILL use your phone a LOT more than you think. It's going to be a far nicer screen, larger, so much faster, etc. You likely don't use your SGS1 very often cause it's slow to use, or whatever. Once you upgrade you will find yourself satisfied in using it for regular browsing, checking email, watching YouTube videos, playing games, etc. It's a whole new experience using a modern phone, so take that into consideration also. I don't use much storage on my phone but I would find 8GB lacking, and I don't even use my phone for games.

Arinoth July 26, 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake_HT (Post 721784)
I should also mention that coming from an SGS1 upgrading to a current higher end phone, you WILL use your phone a LOT more than you think. It's going to be a far nicer screen, larger, so much faster, etc. You likely don't use your SGS1 very often cause it's slow to use, or whatever. Once you upgrade you will find yourself satisfied in using it for regular browsing, checking email, watching YouTube videos, playing games, etc. It's a whole new experience using a modern phone, so take that into consideration also. I don't use much storage on my phone but I would find 8GB lacking, and I don't even use my phone for games.

Actually I use my phone quite a bit already, I've just gotten used to it being a bit slow but it still does everything I want it to do.

I'm also not looking to be well buying a phone out right, would like to not sink that kind of capital, rather go with whatever discounted 2 (preferably) year contract pricing they have on the phones instead, so don't know how well getting an N4 now then getting the new one in Nov would work, unless they'd let me pay an upgrade fee at Fido or Virgin.