Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Again, I don't see the point in buying the phone out right, especially if it's unlocked.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

From what I can tell, Samsung devices get the least amount of developer approval these days. Especially the Exynos based models.

Sony seems to be the up and coming one, and they actually contribute to AOSP as well. I believe they even provide AOSP builds for their Z-series devices.

I still say the N4 is your best bet. Largely because it's unlocked and works on every network possible in Canada. And I think the reason people say to buy the phone outright is that you don't get locked into any contracts. You're free to switch providers on a whim if a better deal comes out. And usually if you bring your phone to another provider, you'll save 10%.
Old August 8, 2013, 11:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sony Xperia worth looking into at all over the N4, wait for the Moto X?
Old August 8, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
From what I can tell, Samsung devices get the least amount of developer approval these days. Especially the Exynos based models.

Sony seems to be the up and coming one, and they actually contribute to AOSP as well. I believe they even provide AOSP builds for their Z-series devices.

I still say the N4 is your best bet. Largely because it's unlocked and works on every network possible in Canada. And I think the reason people say to buy the phone outright is that you don't get locked into any contracts. You're free to switch providers on a whim if a better deal comes out. And usually if you bring your phone to another provider, you'll save 10%.
But honestly in a community like ours do we seriously leave our phones stock? Hardly. And because of that who cares if our phone comes with 4.1 or 4.2 or 4.3 because we are going to put what we want onto it anyways.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
But honestly in a community like ours do we seriously leave our phones stock? Hardly. And because of that who cares if our phone comes with 4.1 or 4.2 or 4.3 because we are going to put what we want onto it anyways.
I've been running ICS on my SGS1 for over a year, battery life is still great on it too. Recently update my N7 (first gen) to paranoid android rom which runs a lot 'slicker' then the nearly stock rom I had on it for a year (was too lazy to update my rom prior).

Whatever android phone I get, will NOT be running stock.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I've been running ICS on my SGS1 for over a year, battery life is still great on it too. Recently update my N7 (first gen) to paranoid android rom which runs a lot 'slicker' then the nearly stock rom I had on it for a year (was too lazy to update my rom prior).

Whatever android phone I get, will NOT be running stock.
Exactly my point! There are so many options out there to make a Android phone run great. Reviews of how a phone works is essentially for the average joe blow.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
No, but we rely on other people to do the development for us. AFAIK none of us actively participate and maintain CM/AOSP code.

The d2att builds (SGS3 i747M) builds are not the greatest IMO. It definitely isn't as stable as my N4 running the same builds. I largely attribute this due to the fact that Samsung uses a lot of closed-source code in their devices, preventing the community from offering the same level of support/integration/performance.

A guy at work recently got the Xperia Z, seems pretty solid. Feels nice in the hand, the bezel on the screen is pretty slim so even though its a 5" phone, it doesn't feel at all like that.

I don't think the MotoX is worth waiting for, unless it sells on Google Play for $299-$349. The specs are arguably lower than the N4 and LTE works great on my N4 so that's not a selling point for me either. The rumored price of $199 on 2yr contract is absurd.
Old August 8, 2013, 12:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I thought the N4 didn't have LTE?
Old August 8, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
No, but we rely on other people to do the development for us. AFAIK none of us actively participate and maintain CM/AOSP code.

The d2att builds (SGS3 i747M) builds are not the greatest IMO. It definitely isn't as stable as my N4 running the same builds. I largely attribute this due to the fact that Samsung uses a lot of closed-source code in their devices, preventing the community from offering the same level of support/integration/performance.

A guy at work recently got the Xperia Z, seems pretty solid. Feels nice in the hand, the bezel on the screen is pretty slim so even though its a 5" phone, it doesn't feel at all like that.

I don't think the MotoX is worth waiting for, unless it sells on Google Play for $299-$349. The specs are arguably lower than the N4 and LTE works great on my N4 so that's not a selling point for me either. The rumored price of $199 on 2yr contract is absurd.
I checked XDA yesterday and guess what.. There is already a Android 4.3 AOSP rom for my Galaxy S2 being worked on.. How is that slow?
Old August 8, 2013, 06:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The N4 definitely has LTE inside, it's just disabled by Google. This thread has all the links you'd need: [ROM][Unofficial][LTE][4.3] CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightlies for the Nexus 4 (mako) - xda-developers

I modded the stock 4.3 ROM though to have LTE in the interim until CM10.2 starts building officially. Works beautifully and doesn't seem to take any hit on battery life either. I'm using the hybrid 33-84 modem for reference with Virgin Mobile. Only done one SpeedTest thus far though, 16Mbps down, 19Mbps up. I only set it up on Monday.

I haven't used my phone much this week either though, largely idle as I've only used it during my 1h commute to/from work, but its been 2d13hr on battery with 12% left. Stock 4.3, rooted, faux123 kernel, LTE/WiFi. So you can definitely achieve long battery life with light usage.