Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2013, 01:08 PM
MVP

I have to put my vote in for the Nexus 4.
Best supported, both for stock and custom Roms, fastest to get updates and just an all around great phone specially for the price.
While the HTC One is on paper superior in some respects regarding hardware, long term if you are going to keep your device past the 2 year mark, I'd opt for the Nexus 4.

BTW, custom ROMS are the way to go but HTC, Samsung and most Android cellphone manufacturers are solely responsible for supplying the various low level kernel drivers for their particular hardware not Google. Therefore a "Google Sanctioned Device" like the Nexus phone line is guaranteed prompt and a long support period. Case in point is the delay in even custom S3 Roms being built from Android 4.2.2 as they had to wait for Samsung to release the 4.2.2 source code for the S3 vs even the 2+ year old Google Nexus1 which has had 4.2.2 available for it for some time. The Nexus 1 was released in 2011!

HTC and Samsung have released "Special" editions of their phones know as "Pure" devices which run stock Android and are touted as much like the Google's own Nexus line with respect to support. They say that the "Pure" versions of their phones will be kept up to date as promptly as the Nexus Line. Still I read that with a grain of salt as while Google will always supply the stock android source code as it is released, it is still up to HTC and Samsung to supply the necessary drivers and source code tweaks for their respective devices.

Bottom Line: If long term support both with stock and up to date custom ROMS are important to you get a Nexus 4. Consider even a "Pure" HTC One oor Samsung S4.
If long term and up to date Android isn't important to you , then IMHO the HTC one would be my pick.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old July 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
N4 you have to be careful some screens have a VERY bluish tone to them and is very distracting.
Custom kernel easily fixes this and you can customize the colours to your liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Nexus 4 is great for the price, my only complaint is battery life. If you can hold out until november the new Nexus phone will be out and that's probably going to just be icing on the already sweet cake (see the new nexus 7!)
Really? I've found the Nexus 4 to be amazing as far as battery life goes.
Old July 27, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Another +1 for N4, I've had mine for 4 months and love it. 4.3 just got officially released for it and the other nexus devices, and the roms available for it are insane, after using paranoidandroid I can't go back to any other rom, hybrid settings, per app dpi settings etc. I thought I would dislike soft buttons, but now thats all I can use. My only issue with the phone is the battery life is pretty bad, and isn't removable. I'm on virgin and am very pleased with their service, unlimited talk/long distance, unlimited text and mms, 2GB of data and VM/CID for $60 a month, their customer service is awesome too.
Old July 27, 2013, 05:29 PM
Allstar

is everyone recommending to get the phone straight from the provider?

why not just get it straight from google for $359?
Old July 27, 2013, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's cheaper to buy it from the provider.
Old July 27, 2013, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Custom kernel easily fixes this and you can customize the colours to your liking.

Really? I've found the Nexus 4 to be amazing as far as battery life goes.
It was great when new, I've had it since december and am a fairly heavy user and I've already noticed the battery degrading. I can no longer get 4 hours of screen time throughout the day and I usually get around 2 hours of screen time with a days use. I find this to be pretty poor compared to most phones. I've tried it all, tons of full wipes, etc.. It's just not lasting like it used to, it was "OK" new, now I find it poor for a heavy user like myself. Otherwise the phone is steller, no slow downs or unreasonable lag (few stutters every once in a while but that's fine). Still the fastest phone I've used.
Old July 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
It's cheaper to buy it from the provider.
Especially when you can get it for around $230 + $50 gift card like I did last month
Old July 27, 2013, 08:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not looking to buy the phone outright really, would rather have that 'hidden' in the cost and then see if I can pay an upgrade free when the replacement to the nexus 4 comes out in the fall (if I go the N4 route)
Old July 27, 2013, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
It was great when new, I've had it since december and am a fairly heavy user and I've already noticed the battery degrading. I can no longer get 4 hours of screen time throughout the day and I usually get around 2 hours of screen time with a days use. I find this to be pretty poor compared to most phones. I've tried it all, tons of full wipes, etc.. It's just not lasting like it used to, it was "OK" new, now I find it poor for a heavy user like myself. Otherwise the phone is steller, no slow downs or unreasonable lag (few stutters every once in a while but that's fine). Still the fastest phone I've used.
Yep me too, I used to get 4 hours screen time, for the last few days I've noticed I'm getting about 2.5 hours, it might be the newest build of PA i flashed but I doubt it, I may do a complete system wipe with the 4.3 OTA images and see if that helps.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What's weird as it sounds like I get more screen time on my SGS1 then the Nexus 4.

I've also found that I had an issue being able to get my SGS1 to recharge to 100%, I let it run down below 10% (usually never let it go under 50 or 40% if I can help it) as I was using it heavily as a GPS to find how to get to apartments we were looking it. When I got home I plugged it in and it charged back to 100%, so it may be the fact your battery isn't discharging all the cells, causing some to not be able to be fully re-charged, though that's necessarily relevant to what phone does Arinoth want, oh well.