Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2013, 11:11 PM
Rookie

Default What is the best laptop brand? (except apple)

I need some advice about laptop products, what is the best laptop brand? what is the best laptop under $500? Thanks for any suggestion!

updated: thank guys for your advice, I really appreciate it / 3 Year Laptop Malfunction Rates By Manufacturer | Statistic Brain is a great source

Last edited by PlanetMyHero; June 3, 2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow top 3 Year Laptop Malfunction Rates By Manufacturer [2012]

Here is a link providing the failure rate of laptops by brand (Toshiba and Asus are the best) 3 Year Laptop Malfunction Rates By Manufacturer | Statistic Brain

What are you planning to do with your laptop (i.e surfing the web, word processing,...)?
Old May 28, 2013, 02:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking at where they rank Apple I wonder how reliable those stats are. It is also worth mentioning that you can get a really sweet warranty from Lenovo. But imo you are not likely to find any good machine for $500. Though I am typing this from my $500 HP DV4 that appears to have run on miracles since I got it in 2009. It is not even close to fast but has run without troubles so far. *shrug*

Actually I also wonder if most of the Acer/Gateway/HP failures are user-induced simply because those are often the cheapest machines, and most times when people buy a cheap machine it does not get taken care of for whatever reason.
Old May 28, 2013, 03:37 AM
MVP

Asus. Just because by default they offer a one time 1 year accidental damage warranty.
If you're looking for a more configurable BIOS on your laptop, go for Asus. Could be all motherboard manufacturers, but I haven't worked on a Gigabyte or MSI just because of how rare they are.

I don't really believe those statistics because I get quite a few Toshibas in for repair. Not as much as Acer/Gateway/HP, but the sheer volume of HP/Acer/Gateway units sold, dwarf Toshiba.
Samsung isn't there, but I imagine they'd be worse, if not as bad as Acer/Gateway. So many issues with them, and we don't even sell as many of them.

I'd say Gateway is probably the worst of the bunch. You might as well just give if you try to find a driver.
Their "high-end" pre-built desktops and Acer Ultrabooks with SSDs... They're the only units I've seen where the SSD outright dies. All of them appear to be Crucial branded drives.
Old May 28, 2013, 04:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not all that knowledgeable in terms of laptops, but Toshiba has given me nothing but trouble (and I don't mean only 1 repair per laptop), so no matter where they are, they are on the bottom of my list. Besides that I would assume that there is a higher failure rate on the "cheap" models of any brand. I would assume that for Lenovo, the Ideapad would have a higher problem rate than a Thinkpad; that for HP, an Elitebook would have fewer problems than a Pavillon. But it would be nice if someone could confirm this as this is just a feeling I have.
Old May 28, 2013, 04:59 AM
Allstar

Jumping on the Toshiba bandwagon, their supply chain in Canada for any of their products seem to be horrendous. In a lot of cases before the laptop is even out of warrenty you are still dealing with some contracted 3rd party for replacement parts. I don't know if they still do this but they used to use rivets in parts of their laptops as well. I like lenovo & Asus personally, might try my hand at a MSI laptop shortly just because of deals I can get on them.

HP consumer support is crap as well if you ever have a issue, for the price of them though they are usually built well enough. Acers are a throw away in my opinion.
Old May 28, 2013, 05:43 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, if you want something around the $500 mark, I would say the best brand is Dell...but ONLY with the Vostro line.

Their Vostro customer service is literally second to none and the build quality is actually quite good.

Talking about the service, ALL Vostro notebooks now come with ONSITE service so you'll literally have a technician come to your house if repairs are needed.

For example, their Vostro 2420 is under $400 when on sale and ships with (YAY!) Windows 7: The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

IMO, those are all hallmarks of "the best".
Old May 28, 2013, 06:23 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, if you want something around the $500 mark, I would say the best brand is Dell...but ONLY with the Vostro line.

Their Vostro customer service is literally second to none and the build quality is actually quite good.

Talking about the service, ALL Vostro notebooks now come with ONSITE service so you'll literally have a technician come to your house if repairs are needed.

For example, their Vostro 2420 is under $400 when on sale and ships with (YAY!) Windows 7: The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

IMO, those are all hallmarks of "the best".
Have they improved their build quality? The last time I touched a Vostro line was in 2010 I think and they were flimsy as all hell. I would say a HP for the same money was more sturdy.
Old May 28, 2013, 07:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It's a $400 notebook.....I don't know of a single company that gives outstanding build quality at that price level. I would actually say Dell are better than the rest at this level.

Even higher up in the product stack, the Vostro lineup is extremely well built.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow

I wanted to remove any personal bias out of the suggestions, but...since everyone else is jumping off of the Brooklyn Bridge...I shall chime in with my 2 bits.

My (limited) experience with brand-name laptops:
- Personally, I have not met a person where HP laptops have not outright died; this includes my brother's, my friend's, my friends mother (HP's desktops and printers/large format plotters are a different story, but we are talking laptops)
- I have bought a Gateway (FX) in 2008 (I know it is not a 500 peso laptop), just last year it was shipped overseas to a family member and it is still running strong
- My wife has owned the same dual core Toshiba Satellite since 2006 (also not a 500 peso laptop, originally).
- A friend of mine swears by DELL and has owned one kind or another since pre 2000 (laptops and desktops), although none of them were the cheap kind.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; May 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: sp