Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   My first Windows phone Nokia 520 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/61309-my-first-windows-phone-nokia-520-a.html)

b1lk1 May 21, 2013 04:28 PM

My first Windows phone Nokia 520

Got this from Koodo for free for adding another line to my account. Sure I have to pay out the $150 tab for it, but seeing how I've been with them for 3 years, I'm not planning on going anywhere soon. I have to say I am quite impressed with the performance of this phone, I can't help like the clean environment and the great performance.

Not sure if I'll give up Android phones for good, but I am quite impressed with this little phone. Anyone else using Windows phones?

bigFOIG May 21, 2013 06:26 PM

Used a windows phone for a brief while, but the store just wasn't developed enough for me to stay on the platform. Not enough apps maaaaan. Not sure if this is still the case.

Desiato May 21, 2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 710252)
I have to say I am quite impressed with the performance of this phone, I can't help like the clean environment and the great performance.

I read this a lot. Many mobile enthusiasts and critics consider it to be, by far, the best performing OS on low and mid ranged hardware, and perhaps the best overall mobile OS.

bigFOIG May 22, 2013 01:47 AM

Yeah. The phone I had was smooooooth as butter.

b1lk1 May 22, 2013 05:13 AM

App store is still somewhat lacking, although there are enough there to keep me amused. The phone I got has some decent hardware specs in it. If they ever get the kind of app development that Android has it would be a very viable alternative for many.

JD May 22, 2013 06:05 AM

I don't think Windows Phone will ever improve as far as app development goes. It's simply not a dominant platform and I don't think it ever will be. iOS and Android own the mobile market and most likely always will. If anything, Android will take over and be the only dominant OS.

If Nokia put Android on the Lumia 920, I would seriously consider it. The amazing camera quality that Nokia delivers is something Android sorely lacks.

As far as smoothness goes, with current hardware and Android 4.2 that included "Project Butter", Android is very smooth now too. No visible lag on my Nexus 4.

Cptn Vortex May 22, 2013 08:02 AM

I've got the Lumina 800. Perfect phone for me, it is not too big, it is quick enough, and the battery lasts more than a day. That being said, the maps applications and the browser are absolute garbage. I dont bother using them anymore because of how terrible they are. As a Phone and Email device, it doesnt get much better though!

Sushi Warrior May 22, 2013 08:55 AM

Love my HTC 8S. I primarily use my phone for texting, music, and Reddit, and with Baconit being the best reddit app for a phone (IMO) I really can't complain. I'm not an app junkie, so I find their app store offerings more than enough to satisfy me. I never even use the Facebook app because the integration into the OS is so good!

bigFOIG May 22, 2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD (Post 710335)
I don't think Windows Phone will ever improve as far as app development goes. It's simply not a dominant platform and I don't think it ever will be. iOS and Android own the mobile market and most likely always will. If anything, Android will take over and be the only dominant OS.

If Nokia put Android on the Lumia 920, I would seriously consider it. The amazing camera quality that Nokia delivers is something Android sorely lacks.

As far as smoothness goes, with current hardware and Android 4.2 that included "Project Butter", Android is very smooth now too. No visible lag on my Nexus 4.

I agree. But to be honest, I never thought Android would become a dominant platform. I'm talking way back in 3GS and 4 days though, when Android wasn't all that popular yet. I always told myself "Why would I switch to Android? The store will never be as good as the App Store." Look at it now :haha:. I guess anything can happen.

ShinraCorp May 22, 2013 02:06 PM

I got my Lumia 920 and it's great, there's absolutely no flaws to it with the exception of no removable battery or external storage. At launch WP8 crashed once every month but after the update, it stopped crashing and is smooth, plus the battery lasts the whole day for me, of course I don't play games on it lol.