Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 16, 2013, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cell phone carriers getting worse?

Edit: The last week of dealing with Rogers I have had some very positive experiences, they reversed some stupid #2030 charge I got (totaling $10) and cut me another great deal on a new cell phone plan that meets my needs. If you're picking between Bell, Telus, and Rogers, I highly suggest Rogers.

I have been looking at cell phone plans because my mom is getting a new phone, and while I see some great developments, I see a few alarming things too! Telus has a plan with pretty good promotion right now, 300 + 6pm evening weekends canada wide talk, texting, call display, voice mail, 400mb of data for something like $42. With the regular 150 minutes and 200mb of data it's still an okay plan... We checked out virgin mobile, and they actually offer you some nice plans for $35 or less if you want to cut out the data and just pay a "flex" fee when you do use data (i.e. if you only need it a couple months of the year).

But, the big problem I'm seeing is most of the companies (especially the big ones) aren't offering you many options under $45 and without special deals/promotions, most plans don't even start to seem reasonable until you're into the $60 or higher price range. Another thing is that I'm not seeing anywhere near as much CHOICE as there used to be! I went to rogers website and looked up their plans online and I was like BWTF!?!?!?! They gave me 3 plans, with 2 of them only being available on certain devices, and then a couple options for plans with no data... WHAT!? If Telus wasn't offering promotional plans right now, they'd only have a small selection too... and I mean useless selection by that.

Also, I've noticed that data is still highly variable in price and overage charges between some companies. Some companies offer you less data but charge more, many offer a higher price when you go over your data, etc...

I've had a cell phone for about 6 years now, and I have helped my mom get a good plan to fit her needs and I've negotiated better rate plans for myself at renewal (sadly they don't always stay better priced, but usually they do), but I feel like there has been no real change in the industry and in some ways it has gotten better but worse in others. I find the state of what Rogers presents to me on their website is a complete joke, trying to get a cell phone for a person not using data is a joke, the selection of plans and variable options is getting worse for most companies, data is still a huge toss up if you get a reasonable deal or not, most companies won't offer any form of My5 or My10 anymore (some do now include nationwide minutes, more of this please!)... What do you guys think, what do you do to try and get the best deal instead of just taking what the person tries to "up sell" you on?

Rogers has a great promo $63 plan that seems amazing, but it seems to be only on "select phones," so I'm checking out if I can add that to my current iPhone. They also seem to still have the best data rates in town. Bell is pretty damn good if you want to start spending $70 or more, but otherwise they're not the way to go... Telus offers some decent promotions as I pointed out (thanks to a limited time offer of double minutes/data), but seem to be a real mixed bag of not the best options for most plans. Virgin looks pretty enticing for people not looking for regular data or mid-range plans are pretty well done. There are indeed some really good promotions to find here and there or higher end packages, but there is a lot of crap, especially if you're not looking for the $70 and up price range. Just looked at Koodoo (funny how telus owns them but it's so different for plans) and pretty impressed if their Canada-wide data plans = Canada wide talk. $50 gets you some crazy good stuff and $40 still offers a great plan... but then I look at their "iPhone" plans and it goes back to highway robber... umm WTF?!?! Only difference with iPhone and other smartphones is the visual voicemail! (oh, the difference is the subsidized price, if you pick up the iPhone on the "tab" i.e. not heavily discounted, you can use their normal plans)

rant: The thing that pisses me off backwards and blue is how you phone a company (and I complain all the time about internet companies as I can't use more than 25 mbps download 99.9% of the time, but I could use 10 mbps upload easily) and you get this "OH, these are the plans listed on my computer, this is what I can offer you, no I can't do anything else." Yeah, Rogers has a retention department and when I was up for renewal they were able to offer me a ton of credits to cram every feature they could into the budget I had, but otherwise I have no option. I just phoned rogers today and talked to 2 different people and neither of them could offer me ANY credits even though my current plan has a ton of them, they could only offer me these "listed" plans/prices... Maybe I need to phone retention and ask how much it will cost to cancel my contract 9 months early. All I wanted was to have nation-wide minutes instead of My5 at the same price with similar features (I'd even be willing to have 1/2 my current data) /rant

Last edited by draemn; June 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old May 16, 2013, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You know, I've found the same thing. I've been looking at my family's cellular plans, and trying to figure out how to cut costs a little. My wife's phone was on a 6GB superplan that was $60 a month, but then we had to add $12 for voicemail, call display, etc. Since she's usually at home all the time, she uses wifi on her phone, and never uses more than 150MB of data. She doesn't use the phone much, either. Texting is her main way of communicating, I suppose, like 95% of cell phone users out there.

The best I could do, seeing as I wanted some data for her was $55 for 300mins, unlimited texting, voicemail, call display and 500GB of data. The choice of low cost plans with low data amounts was very poor, and really, $17 isn't much of a savings over what she previously had. Got a new phone out of it, though. And seeing as her phone is 'subsidized' to the tune of $17 a month by the plan, I suppose overall it's not too bad.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old May 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
You know, I've found the same thing. I've been looking at my family's cellular plans, and trying to figure out how to cut costs a little. My wife's phone was on a 6GB superplan that was $60 a month, but then we had to add $12 for voicemail, call display, etc. Since she's usually at home all the time, she uses wifi on her phone, and never uses more than 150MB of data. She doesn't use the phone much, either. Texting is her main way of communicating, I suppose, like 95% of cell phone users out there.

The best I could do, seeing as I wanted some data for her was $55 for 300mins, unlimited texting, voicemail, call display and 500GB of data. The choice of low cost plans with low data amounts was very poor, and really, $17 isn't much of a savings over what she previously had. Got a new phone out of it, though. And seeing as her phone is 'subsidized' to the tune of $17 a month by the plan, I suppose overall it's not too bad.
Even at $17/mo. on a minimum 2 year contract, you're gonna save yourself over $400 over the contract. Yeah, like most people who have decent access to wifi and don't watch video/tv over cellular will be fine with 500mb plans... but it seems the pre-made plans are designed to screw you over. Either they don't offer enough to meet your needs unless they are SUPER basic (and then you don't get value for what you pay for) or they skip 2 tiers and throw a ton at you but ask a lot of money so you can have stuff you'll only use 25% of. I was somewhat impressed with Virgin mobile's plans and the current deal telus has on that $43 plan Promotional Plans*|* Plans*|* TELUS Mobility (I'm getting more and more impressed with it the longer I fight with Rogers about my plan), although the voicemail 3 would leave most users wanting to upgrade that feature.
Old May 16, 2013, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

There was a Fido plan (I think it was Fido), a month or so ago that was too bad. I believe it was this one http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merge...-data-1321905/
Old May 16, 2013, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Why the hell are so many people sticking with the big dinosaurs and their crappy plans. Go to Koodo. Look there. Their plans are good and priced well. No stupid contracts, just good deals on phones. Stop giving the dinosaurs money.....
Old May 16, 2013, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Why the hell are so many people sticking with the big dinosaurs and their crappy plans. Go to Koodo. Look there. Their plans are good and priced well. No stupid contracts, just good deals on phones. Stop giving the dinosaurs money.....
Virgin has the same plans as Koodo on their supertab, and a better phone selection.
Old May 17, 2013, 04:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Virgin has the same plans as Koodo on their supertab, and a better phone selection.
Honestly, stating who has more phones is irrelevant. Koodo has a good base of phones right now and if you don't like what they have you can bring your own phone without any trouble at all.

For my money, Koodo has the best of all worlds right now. Why anyone even thinks of using Bell or Rogers in this day and age just boggles my mind.
Old May 17, 2013, 01:40 PM
Allstar

Thumbs down

Ever had to sue Koodo's tech support/customer service? You don't want to have to; I think that's where they cost cut to give the prices they do.
Old May 17, 2013, 03:25 PM
Allstar

Mobilicity just got brought out by Telus.

Telus agrees to take over Mobilicity for $380M - Business - CBC News
Old May 17, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Ever had to sue Koodo's tech support/customer service? You don't want to have to; I think that's where they cost cut to give the prices they do.
They are completely retarded I agree. I bought a phone out right for working up north 150 bux so I wouldn't have to sign up for their "TAB" as they call it. A TAB is a contract they just NEVER call it that. So then I cancelled the month to month phone bill due to being back in town for a few months. When I returned to work up north and restarted the service they changed my program to a TAB and informed me that I owed them 300 dollars for the phone I already bought outright.

Took many many phone calls to correct including 3 trips back to the kiosk.

In short... Koodo customer service is an epic failure.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.