Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old May 20, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Koodo can be a joke.... Their plans are a great price if you are a person who already owns your own phone and don't want a subsidized contract, otherwise, stay away from them. Even then, it sounds like people have more complaints about their customer service than Telus (gasp). Yeah my main complaint is that there used to be good plans in the $45-$60 price range and now you don't get into good plans until the $70 price range (or higher) unless you get lucky with some cool promotion. Sure, some of the smaller guys do offer better stuff at the lower price point, but I haven't had time to look at all of them and some of the best budget plans out there are only if you live in certain "calling zones" or cities. I don't know what you're talking about $100 for 5GB of data with rogers... that is a gross exaggeration.

As for towers, there are 2 sets of towers in Canada that pretty much everything runs off of... so yeah... not much competition at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old May 20, 2013, 06:49 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Koodo can be a joke.... Their plans are a great price if you are a person who already owns your own phone and don't want a subsidized contract, otherwise, stay away from them. Even then, it sounds like people have more complaints about their customer service than Telus (gasp). Yeah my main complaint is that there used to be good plans in the $45-$60 price range and now you don't get into good plans until the $70 price range (or higher) unless you get lucky with some cool promotion. Sure, some of the smaller guys do offer better stuff at the lower price point, but I haven't had time to look at all of them and some of the best budget plans out there are only if you live in certain "calling zones" or cities. I don't know what you're talking about $100 for 5GB of data with rogers... that is a gross exaggeration.

As for towers, there are 2 sets of towers in Canada that pretty much everything runs off of... so yeah... not much competition at the end of the day.
I'm not exaggerating though... It's right on Rogers' website. Of course, you live in Calgary, which if I remember correctly, gets better cell phone plans than us in Ontario. Same with Sasketchewan. Heck even Thunder Bay gets $50 for 6GB data with unlimited Canada calling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old May 20, 2013, 07:12 PM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,210

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I'm not exaggerating though... It's right on Rogers' website. Of course, you live in Calgary, which if I remember correctly, gets better cell phone plans than us in Ontario. Same with Sasketchewan. Heck even Thunder Bay gets $50 for 6GB data with unlimited Canada calling.
Manitoba is not too bad....
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old May 20, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Oh I forgot how sometimes they do the geo zoning bullcrap where you get charged based on where you live... those days should be over and past us...
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old May 26, 2013, 02:08 PM
muse108dc's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver North
Posts: 1,666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I'm not exaggerating though... It's right on Rogers' website. Of course, you live in Calgary, which if I remember correctly, gets better cell phone plans than us in Ontario. Same with Sasketchewan. Heck even Thunder Bay gets $50 for 6GB data with unlimited Canada calling.
I wanted that Thunderbay plan and tried to convince a few reps to give it to me. Too bad I live in Vancouver and rarely see plans that come anywhere near that.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old May 26, 2013, 02:31 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 52
Default

With Wind and Mobility bowing out soon I wouldn't be surprised to see plans jump up $10-$20. It's too bad the new entrants went for AWS bands, reception is pretty spotty for both carriers (I've switched back and forth between them) and was unbearable to use half the time.

For now, I'll just be sticking with prepaid and using WiFi. Data plans are such a joke here but hey this is Canada, we love oligopolies!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old May 26, 2013, 02:41 PM
muse108dc's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver North
Posts: 1,666
Default

Yeah, Mobiliicty being bought by Telus is a travesty, and the fact that Wind is likely to follow. I've been cheering for them since they started really hoping they could maybe put the fear of god into the big 3. They just never managed to get the numbers sadly. I would hope that this might be blocked at the higher levels but I know better.

I personally could not switch to them for one the reception issues and two the "Wind" Zones were lacking in several areas I travel to frequently which is when I really need my phone.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old May 26, 2013, 04:11 PM
geokilla's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,624

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I wanted that Thunderbay plan and tried to convince a few reps to give it to me. Too bad I live in Vancouver and rarely see plans that come anywhere near that.
If you lived in Toronto you can scam them into giving it to you. But you're in BC. BC isn't that bad either. I recall seeing some good plans in BC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Yeah, Mobiliicty being bought by Telus is a travesty, and the fact that Wind is likely to follow. I've been cheering for them since they started really hoping they could maybe put the fear of god into the big 3. They just never managed to get the numbers sadly. I would hope that this might be blocked at the higher levels but I know better.

I personally could not switch to them for one the reception issues and two the "Wind" Zones were lacking in several areas I travel to frequently which is when I really need my phone.
The only way to save them was to have WIND and MobiliCity merge together, along with Public Mobile. But now that Telus is committed to buying MobiliCity, the only thing we can hope for is that the government rejects the sale. Highly doubt that, as this is Canada.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old May 26, 2013, 05:22 PM
muse108dc's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver North
Posts: 1,666
Default

Yeah I was hoping for the merger, having those 2 compete against each other wasnt helping anyone. The big 3 are top bog and their history of just buying out the competition all the time is boring. I really dislike the fact that the big 3 each have 2 or 3 names each. Rogers with Fido and Chatr, Telus with Koodoo, Bell with Virgin. Its fake competition at its worst and how it is permitted I do not understand.

And the last good plan I saw in BC was the 6GB + Fab10 for 60 or so from last august. Decent but not as beautiful as that Thunderbay plan.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old June 1, 2013, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort St. John, BC
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

So, today I took the time to make sure I got on a call with someone at bell who has the "authority" to give pricing discounts compared to the normal listed accounts (as you might know, 99% of the people on the other end just say they can't do anything except what is listed on the computer)... Well, I don't know if I actually got the right person because I was only offered a promo plan that is on the website already and when I asked if I could be upgraded to visual voice-mail at a discounted price, I was given a flat "No."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cell phone travel to USA Dwayne Off Topic 4 March 10, 2013 03:44 PM
[WTB] Sony Ion cell phone Roger Franklin Buy/Sell & Trade 0 December 27, 2012 06:40 PM
New Cell phone soon JMCD Off Topic 11 June 16, 2009 01:08 PM
New in-ear buds for cell phone? bojangles Audio 5 March 31, 2009 01:44 PM
cell phone question how to transfer my cell phone pics to my comp Shadowmeph Off Topic 1 January 29, 2009 10:51 AM