Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Honestly, stating who has more phones is irrelevant. Koodo has a good base of phones right now and if you don't like what they have you can bring your own phone without any trouble at all.

For my money, Koodo has the best of all worlds right now. Why anyone even thinks of using Bell or Rogers in this day and age just boggles my mind.
Yeah...like TELUS has such a sterling reputation.

For the money its a toss up between Telus' budget division (Koodoo) and Bells (Virgin Mobile)....as I cant stand Rogers (Fido).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 17, 2013, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

The reason the big companies don't offer these plans for is their counterparts can and the big companies still make a buck.

Who do you think Bell and Koodoo use for cell towers? Yup Telus.
Old May 17, 2013, 05:51 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
The reason the big companies don't offer these plans for is their counterparts can and the big companies still make a buck.

Who do you think Bell and Koodoo use for cell towers? Yup Telus.
Bell and Telus share networks because neither has Canada-wide coverage for GMS/LTE on their own. Koodo is owned by Telus and Virgin is owned by Bell.

Among other factors, 2nd tier brands have lower prices because of smaller phone subsidies and reduced customer service.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is this your first day in Canada? No? Ok good. Moving on with life.

If it is your first day in Canada, welcome to Canada, where we love to pay taxes and love to get gouged. Ok? Good. Moving on with life.

**** Canada. And Ontario. And Toronto. God these assholes can't do anything right.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well they arent getting better thats for sure. I had an almighty fight with Bell just to try to keep my grandfathered plan when I switched to a new BlackBerry, I got to the point where I could switch to any other phone and just not have LTE and keep unlimited but if I wanted to use my BlackBerry I would have to get a new plan specific just for BlackBerries and end up paying more for a lot less than what I currently had. Moved to Fido and while the unlimited nationwide is nice I'm extremely limited when it comes to data now, I'm on wifi 90% of the time and still manage to hit 1.5GB of data. Dont know if this is because I use my phone a lot more when I'm out and not on wifi or if I just go through that much data.

But plan prices have gone up a lot recently, 100 dollars for 5GB and nationwide is terrible. The fact that I have to look at that tier just to get nationwide calling is unacceptable. Fortunately Fido offered a 60 dollar plan with nationwide and 2GB recently otherwise I'd be screwed royally.

As for tech support, Fido hasnt been great, I've had a problem with Caller ID recently where a few numbers that are in my phonebook just show the number and not the name and its done this on a few devices now so it has to be at thier end but theyve been unable to fix it. Really frustrating as I really never bother remembering numbers these days, enter them once under their name and then just find them in my contacts.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What do you use your phone for, that uses so much data? I stream music sometimes, use gps a lot and I browse reddit and hwc a lot on data and I've never gone over 1GB, usually I'm under 500mb
Old May 18, 2013, 07:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
But plan prices have gone up a lot recently, 100 dollars for 5GB and nationwide is terrible. The fact that I have to look at that tier just to get nationwide calling is unacceptable. Fortunately Fido offered a 60 dollar plan with nationwide and 2GB recently otherwise I'd be screwed royally.
Rogers has the same plan if you want a cheaper 2 year term phone or already own one. I believe Bell, Rogers and Telus all have canada-wide options for $80ish for nice phones. If you want a $500-800 phone for $0-200, it's going to cost you.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Is this your first day in Canada? No? Ok good. Moving on with life.

If it is your first day in Canada, welcome to Canada, where we love to pay taxes and love to get gouged. Ok? Good. Moving on with life.

**** Canada. And Ontario. And Toronto. God these assholes can't do anything right.
I think you need to take a break from RFD for a week or two.
Old May 19, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I do agree that Koodo customer service is crap. I screwed up my phone on a Friday night and had noone to speak to until Monday morning. I'll gladly pay less for less CS than give any of the big guns my money. I do realize that they share cell towers, but as long as a bill never comes to my house with "Bell" on it I am happy.
Old May 19, 2013, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkRk View Post
I think you need to take a break from RFD for a week or two.
What does RFD have to do with anything? I have a 6GB data plan with 200 anytime minutes (bill by second), call ID, voicemail, and 100 long distance minutes. Total: $50 + tax. Try to get a similar plan today and well, just for wanting data alone you'll be paying around $100 for 5GB data with Rogers. Also before these "unlimited" plans, there was the $60 for 6GB plan which included a whole bunch of other stuff as well. Canada is a f***ing joke.