Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
MVP

Default If you suddenly got a Windows 8 (not RT) tablet, what would you do with it?

Aside from selling/trading it away.

Curious if there's any neat things people would do with them. Things that would make me want to purchase one.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:00 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well for starters, keeping one with you is lighter than say a laptop, however if it does come with a keyboard attachment I suggest getting it. Next off, it's Windows... anything that worked with Windows 7 works with the tablet, of course it depends if we're talking about heavy applications or not. Basically it's like carrying an iPad or an Android tablet, except with Windows.

Battery life however I am not sure, compare to Windows RT, the battery life can be iffy (until the supposed Hashwell CPU comes in anyway.)

There's also this whole talk about the "Microsoft Ecosystem" meaning purchase app from say Windows RT and it's available on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and possibly Xbox. However as of now Windows Phone 8 while uses the same file system as Windows 8, isn't the same as Windows 8 at all. (Uses a ARM processor instead of x86)

So over all why should you have one? Well say you're a IT guy who goes in people's houses and help out fix their PC, your Windows 8 tablet will be able to help you out whenever that's for web searching, identifying network problems or simply having a portable Point Of Sale with you. It's better than carrying a laptop around.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Will it blend?
Old May 15, 2013, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'd use it as an info gauge for PC racing games... and then I'd sell it.
Old May 15, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Faptop.