Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2013, 10:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default iphone 4 front assembly

Hi all

Not sure if this is the right spot for this or not, but here I go.

My daughter dropped her iphone 4, (appears to be just a plain jane iphone 4 not an S or G model, although I could be wrong) and destroyed the front assembly. The LCD itself seems to have no issues, but the glass and front panel are mangled. She said she dropped it, to me it looks like it went 3 min of ground and pound from randy couture.

After some reading it came to my attention that LCD and the front assembly are glued together and cannot be seperated without damaging the LCD. Replacing the entire front assembly seems to be pretty straightforward, but I am a bit unsure I am ordering the right part.

iPhone 4 Front Panel - iphone parts,iphone4 parts,iphone accessories,iphone wholesale,iphone conversion kits

This is the one I was planning on ordering, was wondering if there was anyone here with a little more experiance repairing these to let me know if I am ordering the right part, or if it is possible to just replace the glass and cover while safely seperating the LCD.

Thanks

Fudd
Old May 11, 2013, 10:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ive also seen this on ebay, I think its the same kit essentially from my first link but at a considerably lesser cost

Replacement LCD Front Panel Glass Screen Digitizer for iPhone 4 & iPhone 4s | eBay
Old May 11, 2013, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For your sanity I'd really suggest a whole assembly, as separating the glass from the screen can be a pain in the ass. At my work we only use the OEM assemblies, because while they may be fragile, I've found the generic ones to be even more so.

This is the cheapest one I've found on eBay. iPhone 4G White OEM Replacement LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Glass Assembly GSM | eBay
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 11, 2013, 11:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Awesome! Thanks a million. Ill go ahead and keep that link since I have a feeling it may come in handy. Ive watched a few tutorials on it and it seems easy, is it as simple as it looks?
Old May 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's time consuming, and you need to be careful with the screws. Apple like to use a lot of different sized screws all over the place, so keep them separate as you tear it apart. I like to follow this guide, and keep all of the screws together based on every picture. I end up with a big row of screws, but they're separate and I know where to put em.

Installing iPhone 4 Display Assembly Replacement - iFixit

Also, make sure you have a small enough pentalobe screwdriver to take out the bottom screws, if they are indeed pentalobe.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 11, 2013, 12:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Perfect!

I ordered the pentalobe kit as well as the 26 piece tool kit for smartphones ect. Its a shame they charge so damn much for replacement parts as I would have liked to have gotten everything from one place. Seems ifixit is the go to place for any iDevice repair tutorials.

Thanks for the help, would have sucked if I had ordered the wrong equipt. As it is a 17 year old girl with a very basic cell phone has made my life miserable lol.
Old May 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Feel your pain, just broke my HYC Raider, I'm lost without it. Still working all smashed, but for how long. Ordered a new screen too, hope I get lucky. Good luck!
Old May 11, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default missing 1 important tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
It's time consuming, and you need to be careful with the screws. Apple like to use a lot of different sized screws all over the place, so keep them separate as you tear it apart. I like to follow this guide, and keep all of the screws together based on every picture. I end up with a big row of screws, but they're separate and I know where to put em.

Installing iPhone 4 Display Assembly Replacement - iFixit

Also, make sure you have a small enough pentalobe screwdriver to take out the bottom screws, if they are indeed pentalobe.
use a egg carton to keep track of your screws but writing on the inside lid from where they come from
Old May 11, 2013, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just send the phone my way or i can send you a screen I have hundreds of iPhone screens happy to help a forum member out

That goes for any member I will help fix any phone i can find the parts for. I usually just charge for the parts and say throw in something cool with the phone when u send it my way or if not its all good:)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Last edited by Soullessone21; May 11, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old May 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

soulessone is the man on phones... He fixed my rear panel faster than a frog farts. And it only cost me a couple brewskis. :)
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.