Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2013, 02:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nexus 4 is still a big phone with a 4.8" screen. If you have large hands it's fine though.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
So true, makes no sense for all the power when the software is a joke to run. 8 cores and an Adreno GPU to play Angry Birds, lol.

Anyhow, I am quite tempted to pickup a refurbed S2 X from Koodo for $150 to my door, although I do love my HTC Raider sooo much. Decisions....
I've been playing that since my SGS, but of course it started to lag as the game got improved. I don't need a SGS4 to play Real Racing when. It's such a demanding game yet I can run it perfectly on my dad's SGS2.
Old May 9, 2013, 06:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangrisser View Post
Agreed. I was happy to see Galaxy S III Mini and then saw the specs were downgraded. Very very disappointing.

I'm stuck at Galaxy S II (Rogers 727r) and I'm thinking about just jumping to Nexus 4 or whatever the next iteration is.

I don't think there will be significant improvement hardware wise. I'm very happy with the overall performance of GS II with CM10.1. I just need better battery life so I don't have to keep it plugged in all day!
Please for the love of god, do not get the nexus!!! look at the specs of it, Its non lte based phone, AND no upgradeable memory!! HORRIBLE!!!
You are way better off with the S2x(727r)
Old May 9, 2013, 06:55 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I'm loving the IR blaster on the S4. Miracast works really well on it too. Not sure if its worth the cash if you are happy with your current phone of course.

The amount of crap Samsung and Bell have installed on it is astounding. You get approx 9gb of space out of the 16gb. Horrendous. Can't wait for some custom roms to come out with the crap taken out (but it should not be necessary).
Fold for team #54196
Old May 9, 2013, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just have a mental block that does not allow me to buy any phone for more than $150. Not saying they should be $150, but $600+ for a phone is insane.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:15 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I just have a mental block that does not allow me to buy any phone for more than $150. Not saying they should be $150, but $600+ for a phone is insane.
Oh yeah $600 is way too much. My plan allows me to get a new phone every year at a 3-year price, and my wife is on the same plan. So we roll new phones through here every 6 months, and sell our 'old' ones (this time the Galaxy Note II was the 'old' phone).

But yeah...without the nice upgrade option I would probably be a generation behind at least (and would just update the rom myself to maintain performance).
Fold for team #54196
Old May 9, 2013, 11:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynold78 View Post
Please for the love of god, do not get the nexus!!! look at the specs of it, Its non lte based phone, AND no upgradeable memory!! HORRIBLE!!!
I've tried LTE and non-LTE phone. I can feel that LTE is faster but I'm usually within a distance of Wifi network and if I am not then chances of me needing speed of LTE is minimal. Dare I say, I'm okay with slow internet? (Although it's a totally different story when it comes to an actual landline.)

Upgradeable memory isn't a deal breaker for me. I have about 14GB available to me on GS II and I have about 12.5GB left. Granted I have two phones and I have music on my iPhone but even if I moved the music and downloaded same/similar apps to Android. I don't think I'll exceed 6GB total.

I'm actually more concerned about physical size and the battery life. Even Nexus 4 creeps to almost 5 inches and it's just too damn big. I really like the size of Galaxy S2 and I do have big hands (and awfully stubby thumbs.) I think biggest I can stand carrying around is under 5 inches. Battery life on Galaxy S2, 727r in particular is awful especially once you install Google Now. For me, Google now is a killer app so it draining battery hurts the daily use of this phone.

Anyways back to original conversation of Galaxy S4. I really hope Samsung's BigLittle CPU can save battery though it shouldn't be CPU trying to conserve battery, we should just have better battery technology. At least it's supposed to save battery life by optimizing performance. Probably will go to Nexus phone anyway just so I can have access to latest updates and not have to wait for carriers to provide the update.
Old May 10, 2013, 04:29 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:

Anyways back to original conversation of Galaxy S4. I really hope Samsung's BigLittle CPU can save battery though it shouldn't be CPU trying to conserve battery, we should just have better battery technology. At least it's supposed to save battery life by optimizing performance. Probably will go to Nexus phone anyway just so I can have access to latest updates and not have to wait for carriers to provide the update.
The North American version of the S4 has a quad core Snapdragon 600. No biglittle for us most likely until the Note III.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 10, 2013, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynold78 View Post
Uh... what?

Quote:
I've tried LTE and non-LTE phone. I can feel that LTE is faster but I'm usually within a distance of Wifi network and if I am not then chances of me needing speed of LTE is minimal. Dare I say, I'm okay with slow internet? (Although it's a totally different story when it comes to an actual landline.)

Upgradeable memory isn't a deal breaker for me. I have about 14GB available to me on GS II and I have about 12.5GB left. Granted I have two phones and I have music on my iPhone but even if I moved the music and downloaded same/similar apps to Android. I don't think I'll exceed 6GB total.

I'm actually more concerned about physical size and the battery life. Even Nexus 4 creeps to almost 5 inches and it's just too damn big. I really like the size of Galaxy S2 and I do have big hands (and awfully stubby thumbs.) I think biggest I can stand carrying around is under 5 inches. Battery life on Galaxy S2, 727r in particular is awful especially once you install Google Now. For me, Google now is a killer app so it draining battery hurts the daily use of this phone.

But everyone likes it big... Why else is everything getting so big...
Old May 10, 2013, 12:15 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
The North American version of the S4 has a quad core Snapdragon 600. No biglittle for us most likely until the Note III.
The unlocked version mentioned by OP is Octa. BigLittle :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Uh... what?
But everyone likes it big... Why else is everything getting so big...
LOL. I could probably throw a few funny sex jokes here. I'm not sure if that's appropriate.