Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2013, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default HTC One

Just picked up my new HTC One today and all I have to say is WOW! What a huge upgrade over my old GS2. So much smoother and much more responsive and the screen is amazing. I would recommend this phone to anyone
Old April 20, 2013, 01:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'll be picking one up soon too, it's definitely the best phone I've ever seen in terms of build quality and materials.
Old April 21, 2013, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have to admit that this phone probably has the most amazing hardware currently out. I'll be sticking with my Z10 however, much prefer BB10 over Android. I'm not sold on the ultra pixel camera, too many sacrifices to get that low light performance.

Can I just ask a question regarding the buttons, is there a reason that they made them so complicated and confusing. Long press for something, double tap for something else.....

And if you buy the Galaxy S4 over this you should probably be slappyed.
Old April 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

The GS4 is a great device as well, no reason anyone should be slapped if they picked one up over the One, both are fantastic phones with phenomenal hardware.
Old April 21, 2013, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

I like removable batteries k thx. I'll take plastic over that any time.

Though the GS2 is considered quite the old phone now, but it's impressively kept up with the rapid android iterations.
Old April 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
I have to admit that this phone probably has the most amazing hardware currently out. I'll be sticking with my Z10 however, much prefer BB10 over Android. I'm not sold on the ultra pixel camera, too many sacrifices to get that low light performance.

Can I just ask a question regarding the buttons, is there a reason that they made them so complicated and confusing. Long press for something, double tap for something else.....

And if you buy the Galaxy S4 over this you should probably be slappyed.
Galaxy S4 is small in size and weight and has a larger screen.. why would anyone need to be slapped. That part alone is a no brainer for me.
Old April 21, 2013, 04:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The internals of both phones a pretty much identical AFIK, because we won't be getting the Exynos powered phones in Canada (at least for now) it comes down to brand preference and what features you like/dislike. I wasn't sure i would like the HTC over Samsung but once i got the chance to hold it and use it i was sold. It has a very solid quality feel to it and everything is butter smooth. As for the buttons being "complicated" it didn't take me long to figure the functions out. The screen size is good although it would've been nice to have a full 5" screen and removable battery like the S4 but it has great color and everything is very crisp and clear, and from what i've seen so far has excellent battery life.
Old April 21, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

From what I have read thus far the only improvement the HTC One brings is optical image stabilisation and that you capture more within the frame (in other words don't need to stand back as far). Image quality is better on the GS4 than the HTC One (even in low light). Here is a pretty good review Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One: Army of two - GSMArena.com .

While an aluminum body is nice, being able to remove/replace the battery yourself as well as having the option of expanding the storage are important.

My trusty GS1 is due for a replacement and it looks like it will be between the GS4 and the HTC One, though I may wait for the Nexus 5.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nexus 5 will be a ways away, nexus 4 32gb lte is to be announced next month though according to rumors.
Old April 21, 2013, 07:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I can understand the advantage of a MicroSD slot, but I've never understood why so many people consider a removable battery such an advantage.
I have never swapped batteries on my GS3 or my Note 2, it just isn't feasible to carry a spare fully charged battery with you at all times to make a removable battery a real advantage.

Anyway, I've tried both phones, and they are both amazing devices, but if I had the choice of only one device, I'd lean towards the HTC One, it's something different and the build quality is impeccable.