Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2013, 04:14 AM
Rookie

Default Nexus 7 3G ?

Don't have a cell phone, dont have a tablet yet.

I'm thinking of getting a tablet that I would use mostly during vacations.
Given that wifi is not available everywhere, I was thinking about getting a 3G tablet.

My question (total noob here): Is it possible to get a sim card for just one-month that I can put in the tablet? I dont want any long term contract
Old April 16, 2013, 05:14 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm actually doing a whole article about traveling through Italy with a Nexus 7 3G, the apps you'll want and some cool accessories. Basically, I'm not even brining hand maps or guide books. It'll all be with Google Local, Google Maps, etc.

Regarding the prepaid data SIMs here in Canada, I have yet to see one offered even though they are extremely popular in other parts of the world. My only suggestion would be to get a "pay as you go" plan that includes data. Call Telus up (IMO, they have the best customer support) and discuss what you are looking for.

Also note that the Nexus 7 requires a MICRO SIM, which is something not offered by the Petro Canada, 7Eleven and other locations that offer so-called prepaid SIMs.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

A few providers offer prepaid data in Canada, but the most you'll see is 500mb and the prices are crazy ($30+) if you can there are flex plans you can get, pay as little as like $10 a month if you dont use much data, or up to $100 for 10gb of data, goes up $10 per gb usually.
Old April 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by butor20022 View Post
Don't have a cell phone, dont have a tablet yet.

I'm thinking of getting a tablet that I would use mostly during vacations.
Given that wifi is not available everywhere, I was thinking about getting a 3G tablet.

My question (total noob here): Is it possible to get a sim card for just one-month that I can put in the tablet? I dont want any long term contract
I brought my Nexus 7 Wifi with me to Japan last month and really regretted not getting a 3G model. In Europe wifi's pretty easy to find, but a lot of other countries it varies and a lot of the data-only sims don't work with phones (as I've discovered in Europe and Japan).

If you look before hand a lot of countries have temporary microsims you can get by either buying in advance (like b-mobile for Japan) or even get while you're at the airport (Vodafone for the UK, I can't remember the SIM I had in France, Germany, etc)
Old April 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Might want to wait for the new nexus 7 announcement at io in a month