Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Best "Gaming" Ultrabook?

Looking for an ultrabookesque laptop that still gives decent gaming performance. I'm not talking pure power, but just enough to play games a ok settings.

Something like this would be perfect: GIGABYTE - Notebook & Netbook - Notebook & Netbook - U series - U2442D

For those who don't want to click the link, its the Gigabyte U2442D which has a i5-3230M (dual core 2.6) with a Nvidia 730M, but it's only .8 inch thick. However, I cant find it in Canada.

School and programming are the main focus of the laptop so a high resolution display is a must (1600x900 or 1920x1080). Gaming is second priority. The main games I play are only starcraft 2 and league of legends (2 very light games in terms of performance demands), but I do play more intensive games such as BF3, Skyrim, and other games on occasion.

Is there anything around a $1000 that has ok graphics, high res screen, and good portability?
Old April 15, 2013, 11:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Looking for an ultrabookesque laptop that still gives decent gaming performance. I'm not talking pure power, but just enough to play games a ok settings.

Something like this would be perfect: GIGABYTE - Notebook & Netbook - Notebook & Netbook - U series - U2442D

For those who don't want to click the link, its the Gigabyte U2442D which has a i5-3230M (dual core 2.6) with a Nvidia 730M, but it's only .8 inch thick. However, I cant find it in Canada.

School and programming are the main focus of the laptop so a high resolution display is a must (1600x900 or 1920x1080). Gaming is second priority. The main games I play are only starcraft 2 and league of legends (2 very light games in terms of performance demands), but I do play more intensive games such as BF3, Skyrim, and other games on occasion.

Is there anything around a $1000 that has ok graphics, high res screen, and good portability?

The only thing I could think of offhand would be the ASUS Zenbook Prime line such as;
Asus ZENBOOK Prime UX31A-DH51-CA w/ Core i5-3317U, 4GB, 128GB SSD, 13.3in FHD, Win 8 64-bit at Memory Express
1080 screen, i5 core, SSD, but you're only getting intel 4000 integrated graphics. One of the guys I work with has one of the original zenbooks and I'm pretty impressed with the build quality and finish. There might be a lenovo or dell offering that's better (in fact I could swear there was a Dell ultrabook review here on HWC a few months ago) but I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old April 16, 2013, 06:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The zenbook's are indeed nice, I was looking for something with a little more GPU though. It doesn't have to be a paper thin ultrabook, just a relatively thin and light laptop, while still having some power.