Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2013, 02:27 PM
tangrisser's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 163
Default How do you manage other's hardware?

I replaced my Galaxy S2 i9100 to Galaxy S2 LTE and gave away my S2 i9100 to my mom since she lost her 30 dollar flip phone.

I'm a little bit concerned about her using the phone since she's not technically saavy or knowledgeable.

I installed CM9 or 10 (I can't recall but eventually will replace it with CM10.1) and would like to restrict certain access in order for her to avoid downloading malicious codes or programs that could potentially be used to withdraw her data. (Considering moving her back to Sammy's TouchWiz)

Is there any way to do 'parental restriction' on the phone such as Settings and Play market so that I can prevent my mom from misusing the phone? or some guide to help me achieve what I want to do?
__________________
Check out my SALE page
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2013, 03:21 PM
Perineum's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Posts: 4,038

My System Specs

Default

well, teamviewer quicksupport works on samsung phones and tablets.

I use that often with my mothers tablet to help her do things. I'm also interested in your question however.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2013, 05:54 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangrisser View Post
I replaced my Galaxy S2 i9100 to Galaxy S2 LTE and gave away my S2 i9100 to my mom since she lost her 30 dollar flip phone.

I'm a little bit concerned about her using the phone since she's not technically saavy or knowledgeable.

I installed CM9 or 10 (I can't recall but eventually will replace it with CM10.1) and would like to restrict certain access in order for her to avoid downloading malicious codes or programs that could potentially be used to withdraw her data. (Considering moving her back to Sammy's TouchWiz)

Is there any way to do 'parental restriction' on the phone such as Settings and Play market so that I can prevent my mom from misusing the phone? or some guide to help me achieve what I want to do?
Install TWRP, create a base image for the phone.
Go into TWRP and create a image.

Mom screws up phone.. wipe and restore.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 8, 2013, 03:04 AM
Dzzope's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Irishman in Kiev, wOOoo, I'm an alien...
Posts: 2,685

My System Specs

Default

Don't tell her how to use the store... she wants something you get it. :P

Or just tell her to ask you if she is unsure of an app.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 9, 2013, 09:53 AM
tangrisser's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Metro Vancouver
Posts: 163
Default

I haven't had much time to really dig into this.

I've searched for various things like setting up the device for kids (because it would be most relevant for end user like myself,) permission and managing Android device for enterprise and few suggested programs. I think this is kind of where I am at:

- It seems managing an Android device at enterprise level involves development and much work around the Android code itself OR a very expensive program.
- Most of the 'managing' revolves around app installation. I can appreciate that this is where the most permission and managing is needed and at the same time I wish they had something like this for core functionality of the phone.

I definitely need a clear picture of what I want to restrict before I start searching how to manage and set permission an Android device. I'm going dig deeper tonight and I'll see what I can come up with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
well, teamviewer quicksupport works on samsung phones and tablets.

I use that often with my mothers tablet to help her do things. I'm also interested in your question however.
I didn't know you could use TeamViewer to control the Android device as well. It's definitely an interesting idea when I'm away and would need to teach her features but that's what a brother is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Install TWRP, create a base image for the phone.
Go into TWRP and create a image.

Mom screws up phone.. wipe and restore.
Funny you mention TWRP because I used TWRP to root my 'new' Galaxy S2 (Rogers i727R.) It was quite intuitive to use and better interface than CWM. It's a good safe measure but I'm thinking more in the lines of setting permission for Options or certain tasks just beyond the app installation so that she can only do that particular option or task with a password. It would have to be a fine balance between locking the device and letting her use the device with some freedom.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Don't tell her how to use the store... she wants something you get it. :P

Or just tell her to ask you if she is unsure of an app.
Curious minds bear curious minds
__________________
Check out my SALE page
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How-to: Manage Cables in a CM Storm Sniper (Weekend Prize Giveaway) Nic-CM Guides & How-to's 8 April 12, 2012 02:26 PM
How to manage cables in case with no cable compartment? taimoorali007 Cases 13 February 10, 2012 05:18 AM
Help Me Manage My Cables Shax New Builds 6 December 12, 2011 05:48 PM
Manage Audio Devices takes a full minutes to open window NineLives O/S's, Drivers & General Software 0 April 3, 2011 02:14 PM