Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2013, 06:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default In Mourning: Laptop Finally Kicks the Bucket..Sort Of

I've had a Sony Vaio Z 1290 (also known as the VPCZ114GX when in silver) for the better part of three years now. After testing countless other notebooks over the years, this one is hands down the best I've come across.

Slim with a great keyboard, stunning semi matte 1600x900 IPS screen, interchangeable batteries, DVD drive, etc. There hasn't been another comparable notebook since. At least in my eyes.

Well, yesterday, I turned it on and that great keyboard.....dead. It won't even work in the BIOS which points to a hardware issue rather than a software problem.

I opened it up and boy was I in for a rude surprise. Sony being Sony fabricated this thing with such precision that even attempting to change out the keyboard would be a lesson in absolute futility unless one had the repair manual. The innards are nothing short of spectacular though.

Unfortunately, this means the 1290 is in the hands of a Sony certified repair center and believe it or not, I find myself emotionally attached to it. So much so that I told the repair shop: do what it takes to fix this thing. Why? Because I know there's nothing else that could replace it.

Whether or not this situation I find myself in sounds idiotic or not is immaterial. What it does point to is the sad state of the current notebook market. Advances in technology have led to a pathetic selection with integrated batteries, sub-par screens, horrible track pads and lackluster battery life or a combination thereof. Even Sony has discontinued their venerable Z line. And don't get me started with the penetration of Windows 8 into the professional notebook market...

End of rant

*Typed on a Nexus 7 w/ USB keyboard (ugh!).
Old March 18, 2013, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My condolences. Yes. I can sympathize with you totally. I know what it's like. I really hope they can fix it for you.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Nobody wants to spend the $ that it would cost to build a quality laptop. Honestly I'm surprised Microsoft has not yet dictated some hardware quality standards and started some kind of Microsoft certified hardware program.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:00 AM

This is true.

If I could find a Sony Repair Manual, I would have been totally cool with this since I can buy the keyboard assembly separately. However, if it is the micro controller, I'd be FUBAR'd.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:15 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I know it's too late, but is this could have been the disassembly sequence?

Taking apart Sony Vaio VPCZ1 laptop >> Inside my laptop
Old March 18, 2013, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being emotionally attached to something that has served you so well for so long.

I can't help but agree with the notebook offerings out in the world currently. Its like the world came full circle from quality to crap again, for a lot of items.

Hopefully it doesn't cost a fortune and you get it back sooner than later.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 18, 2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I know it's too late, but is this could have been the disassembly sequence?

Taking apart Sony Vaio VPCZ1 laptop >> Inside my laptop
That's how to get inside. However, removing the keyboard is another matter altogether.....
Old March 18, 2013, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being emotionally attached to something that has served you so well for so long.

I can't help but agree with the notebook offerings out in the world currently. Its like the world came full circle from quality to crap again, for a lot of items.

Hopefully it doesn't cost a fortune and you get it back sooner than later.

-ST
I'm Emotionally attached to my GTX 660 and my 6970 with custom cooling both of which were gifts and mean more to me then money, when they get retired they will be forever save for testing cards :)

Sony is one of the very few companies I have no friends in sad sad day

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Old March 18, 2013, 11:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Ya I have to agree the technology is great these days but the manufacturing process smells of Made in China by Chinese administrators.

Right now I have my MSI GE620DX for more than a year (December 2011) and never caused any problems, I'll have to see if it'll last more than 3 years or not, I tend to use it for playing Starcraft 2 and other mid-range requirement games (Battlefield 3 runs fine on Medium and that's it :P )

But here's hoping you can get your Vaio repaired! Sony never made horrible quality products so it's no doubt that they should repair it just fine...
Old March 18, 2013, 02:15 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Sounds like this laptop has been like a girlfriend to you!
Fold for team #54196