Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   In Mourning: Laptop Finally Kicks the Bucket..Sort Of (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/60249-mourning-laptop-finally-kicks-bucket-sort.html)

SKYMTL March 18, 2013 05:55 AM

In Mourning: Laptop Finally Kicks the Bucket..Sort Of

I've had a Sony Vaio Z 1290 (also known as the VPCZ114GX when in silver) for the better part of three years now. After testing countless other notebooks over the years, this one is hands down the best I've come across.

Slim with a great keyboard, stunning semi matte 1600x900 IPS screen, interchangeable batteries, DVD drive, etc. There hasn't been another comparable notebook since. At least in my eyes.

Well, yesterday, I turned it on and that great keyboard.....dead. It won't even work in the BIOS which points to a hardware issue rather than a software problem.

I opened it up and boy was I in for a rude surprise. Sony being Sony fabricated this thing with such precision that even attempting to change out the keyboard would be a lesson in absolute futility unless one had the repair manual. The innards are nothing short of spectacular though.

Unfortunately, this means the 1290 is in the hands of a Sony certified repair center and believe it or not, I find myself emotionally attached to it. So much so that I told the repair shop: do what it takes to fix this thing. Why? Because I know there's nothing else that could replace it.

Whether or not this situation I find myself in sounds idiotic or not is immaterial. What it does point to is the sad state of the current notebook market. Advances in technology have led to a pathetic selection with integrated batteries, sub-par screens, horrible track pads and lackluster battery life or a combination thereof. Even Sony has discontinued their venerable Z line. And don't get me started with the penetration of Windows 8 into the professional notebook market...

End of rant

*Typed on a Nexus 7 w/ USB keyboard (ugh!).

IRQ Conflict March 18, 2013 06:00 AM

My condolences. Yes. I can sympathize with you totally. I know what it's like. I really hope they can fix it for you.

LarkStarr March 18, 2013 06:16 AM

Nobody wants to spend the $ that it would cost to build a quality laptop. Honestly I'm surprised Microsoft has not yet dictated some hardware quality standards and started some kind of Microsoft certified hardware program.

SKYMTL March 18, 2013 07:00 AM

This is true.

If I could find a Sony Repair Manual, I would have been totally cool with this since I can buy the keyboard assembly separately. However, if it is the micro controller, I'd be FUBAR'd.

3.0charlie March 18, 2013 09:15 AM

I know it's too late, but is this could have been the disassembly sequence?

Taking apart Sony Vaio VPCZ1 laptop >> Inside my laptop

Soultribunal March 18, 2013 09:33 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being emotionally attached to something that has served you so well for so long.

I can't help but agree with the notebook offerings out in the world currently. Its like the world came full circle from quality to crap again, for a lot of items.

Hopefully it doesn't cost a fortune and you get it back sooner than later.

-ST

SKYMTL March 18, 2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 697183)
I know it's too late, but is this could have been the disassembly sequence?

Taking apart Sony Vaio VPCZ1 laptop >> Inside my laptop

That's how to get inside. However, removing the keyboard is another matter altogether..... :sad:

Soullessone21 March 18, 2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 697194)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being emotionally attached to something that has served you so well for so long.

I can't help but agree with the notebook offerings out in the world currently. Its like the world came full circle from quality to crap again, for a lot of items.

Hopefully it doesn't cost a fortune and you get it back sooner than later.

-ST

I'm Emotionally attached to my GTX 660 and my 6970 with custom cooling both of which were gifts and mean more to me then money, when they get retired they will be forever save for testing cards :)

Sony is one of the very few companies I have no friends in sad sad day

ShinraCorp March 18, 2013 10:54 AM

Ya I have to agree the technology is great these days but the manufacturing process smells of Made in China by Chinese administrators.

Right now I have my MSI GE620DX for more than a year (December 2011) and never caused any problems, I'll have to see if it'll last more than 3 years or not, I tend to use it for playing Starcraft 2 and other mid-range requirement games (Battlefield 3 runs fine on Medium and that's it :P )

But here's hoping you can get your Vaio repaired! Sony never made horrible quality products so it's no doubt that they should repair it just fine...

chrisk March 18, 2013 01:15 PM

Sounds like this laptop has been like a girlfriend to you!