Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2013, 09:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Perhaps with Haswell, but even that is a hell of a stretch for a 3-cell.

And I have a loaner Lenovo x220 at work and it's alright I guess. Have you looked at the HP Elitebook 9470m Folio SKY? It's a pretty solid device and it's getting a refresh to include a 1600x900 display.
Old March 19, 2013, 05:31 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
Read here that its actually 3 cell...:
Lenovo Unveils Mainstream Business Ultrabook, ThinkPad T431s | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

But Lenovo claims a 9 hour battery life in that link...is that realistic?
Absolutely not. Maybe in the dream world which notebook manufacturers live in but 9 hours with a 3-cell, even with Haswell is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Perhaps with Haswell, but even that is a hell of a stretch for a 3-cell.

And I have a loaner Lenovo x220 at work and it's alright I guess. Have you looked at the HP Elitebook 9470m Folio SKY? It's a pretty solid device and it's getting a refresh to include a 1600x900 display.
All of the Folios I have seen lately sport Windows 8. In addition, I'm not going to spend $1400+ on a notebook with a 1366x768 display since the refresh isn't out yet.
Old March 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I guess it's my robotics background of building something for 9 months to watch it get ripped to pieces in 3 minutes, but I haven't had any emotional attachment to any device beyond the frustration of having to get a new one when what I was using was still valid. That was especially so in the last few months where I've had four computing devices (1 motherboard/PSU, 2 laptops, and 1 tablet) render themselves useless through various means.

I have to agree with you on laptops though. I really preferred the 2007-2009 designs to what's coming out now. It's even worse now that each company tries to cram tablet-ish features (or cosmetics that detract from features) for Windows 8.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:53 AM

Sorry for not updating this thread but I have been out of town (working on an MS Surface Pro right now). Anyways, the repair is going to cost ~$400. The keyboard's microcontroller is toast. Unfortunately, that means the entire keyboard needs to be changed and Sony being Sony, the cost is $250 for a genuine part.
Old April 1, 2013, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry to hijack, but where did you go with your laptop. Is there a physical location in the Montreal area? I have a Sony Bravia with a vertical redline, and wondering if they could get me a quote to repair it (not that I have high hope that it will cost less than a new TV).

Thanks

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old April 1, 2013, 02:50 PM

Yup. It is the only official non-professional equipment Sony repair place in Montreal. Video Cam in Laval: Video-cam Electronique inc.

SUPER friendly service and very knowledgeable staff.
Old April 1, 2013, 03:58 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
There IS a Vaio Z repair manual out there but all of the links are officially dead.

I was actually mentioning on call to Dell today that if they had continued their V131 and just added a higher resolution screen and mSATA, I would have been all over it. Instead they have the Vostro 3360 which has at most 4 hours of battery life (with an integrated unit no less) and a shitty 1366x768 screen and no SSD option.
Why mSATA instead of a regular 2.5" SATA drive?