Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Samsung Announces the Galaxy S4 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/60200-samsung-announces-galaxy-s4.html)

SKYMTL March 15, 2013 05:42 AM

Samsung Announces the Galaxy S4

Quote:

Samsung officially announced the Galaxy S4 Thursday at an event in New York’s Radio City Music Hall.
Read more here: Samsung Announces the Galaxy S4 | Hardware Canucks

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a move away from plastic and the same old design but that didn't happen. Instead we get a GSIII clone with better performance.

great_big_abyss March 15, 2013 06:29 AM

So, kinda like the iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4s.

I suppose, if I were to conjecture on a reason why Samsung is keeping the same industrial design, that the SGSIV hasn't been out all that long, and they're trying to squeeze as much life as possible out of the existing tooling.

FreeKnight March 15, 2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 696529)
So, kinda like the iPhone 4 vs iPhone 4s.

I suppose, if I were to conjecture on a reason why Samsung is keeping the same industrial design, that the SGSIV hasn't been out all that long, and they're trying to squeeze as much life as possible out of the existing tooling.

I think you mean SGS III :whistle:

But I agree with the disappointment a lot of people are having. It seems like they're going to go to the Apple model of 'incremental' improvements without adding much in the way of substantial changes. Most of the new features they're plugging seem more software or gimmick based and there's nothing that really makes me want to upgrade.

I'm sure it will still be a solid phone. I'm very happy with my SIII, but honestly, I think the vanilla features of Android have more impressed me than S-Voice, S-Memo, S-Apps, etc. It won't be long before I run a custom rom that reflects more the Nexus phones I think. If the Nexus phones had microsd slots I'd have gone with them in the first place.

Nodscene March 15, 2013 07:09 AM

I guess I'm in the minority then as I think it's a pretty good update. The screen is bigger, faster processor, larger battery, and better camera. Not to mention the software changes so I don't agree with the 4 vs 4s analogy. Sure it may not be a big update for those with an S3 but at this point in phone technology I'm not entirely sure what they could really add to the phone that would be such a leap as to really benefit users who have the last generation phone.

Eluder March 15, 2013 07:42 AM

This isn't the same thing as Apple because the Hardware is actually a pretty big improvement, it's just the design is the same which is a let down.
Unlike Apple, the screen is bigger, 1080p, better processor, and they've added new functionality to their OS that no one has even come close to replicating yet.
I've played with the HTC One and that phone is simply gorgeous, so in comparison, the GS4 is dull looking, but I know the experience will be better with Samsung because they focused more on the software than the look of the phone.

WhippWhapp March 15, 2013 11:25 AM

While I've always preferred HTC's design language, Samsung provides a better overall experience.

b1lk1 March 15, 2013 04:00 PM

Pointless update, what exactly does anything running android need more power for??? Totally pointless, cash grab......

DkRk March 15, 2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 696673)
what exactly does anything running android need more power for???

For running Android properly.

I don't get the disappointment. The camera upgrade, plus glove-friendly use as well as a 1080p screen seem like pretty marked improvements. What more do people expect out of a new device?

Jake_HT March 15, 2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DkRk (Post 696679)
For running Android properly.

I don't get the disappointment. The camera upgrade, plus glove-friendly use as well as a 1080p screen seem like pretty marked improvements. What more do people expect out of a new device?

A popcorn machine??

The phone was upgraded in every way, the screen is much improved, battery is larger, it's slimmer, has some new features, better cameras, faster processer, etc..

What people expect I have no idea...

Would be nice if they ditched the GOD AWFUL UGLY ui but that'll never happen unfortunately.

I welcome the improvements, it promotes competition and the next nexus device should include similar hardware for a fraction of the price!

Wonder if this phone will outsell the GS3 by a large amount?

And this phone is actually running the latest version of android and will be for about a full month until 5.0 drops... that's gotta be a record? :haha:

b1lk1 March 15, 2013 05:16 PM

I gripe because support for less than 1 year old phones we pay $500 for is dropped when the next model comes out. Makes me ill that these things still have crap software that can't take advantage of 2 year old phones yet we have a 6-9 month upgrade cycle. I have a HTC Raider that will eat any Android version/program alive yet instead of just making Android or the programs better, we keep getting new phones. JB was hardly an upgrade over ICS and definitely not worth buying a new phone for.

It's fine if you have the money to play with and want to stay on the bleeding edge, but why bleed out when Android and the software offers nothing new time and time again.

Atleast PC games can rape a high end system. Name me ONE program/app that can rape even a 1 year old dual core phone.