Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2013, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You don't get updates very fast because you have an HTC phone... Samsung and Nexus phones get updates very quickly. The more popular the phone you own is the sooner you get updates.
Old March 15, 2013, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honest;y, I don't really care about OTA updates, I always unlock, root and reflash all my phones to the way I like them. What bothers me most is that my phone manhandles anything Android and then some. Hell, I even got this phone for $150 on Ebay so I can't even complain about that. It is just that the micro updates to Android are hardly anything to cheer about and the apps are growing even slower.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The GS III will get most of the software updates the SG IV will get. Sounds like good support to me.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 15, 2013, 11:38 PM
MVP

It's a bit better than I thought it would be. I expected a smaller step forward. I think that when seen next to an S3, the improvements will be more apparent. Like the iphone 5 was compared to the 4S, it's definitely a refinement over the S3, but still a significant upgrade in performance in every way.

I did expect Samsung would have a difficult time managing expectations though.

Why would Samsung change it's wildly successful design language? What's nice about Android is diversity. If you want an aluminum phone, there are other options. Personally, I think polycarbonate makes a lot more sense, but to each their own.

Last edited by Desiato; March 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Something I've noticed recently in discussion forums belonging to tech websites is an increasing derision towards Samsung -much of it coming from Android fans.

Samsung is on a level similar to Apple in terms of brand recognition and ubiquity, and now they're getting the same kind of 'hate' that Apple does too. It's really odd.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting, I haven't noticed that myself.
Old March 24, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkRk View Post
Something I've noticed recently in discussion forums belonging to tech websites is an increasing derision towards Samsung -much of it coming from Android fans.

Samsung is on a level similar to Apple in terms of brand recognition and ubiquity, and now they're getting the same kind of 'hate' that Apple does too. It's really odd.
I would say it comes from people who for example owned a Galaxy S2 then the S3 was released but there was so little difference it wasn't worth it. For those who own a S2 to upgrade to the S4 will be a nice upgrade.

For those who have the S3 to upgrade to the S4 won't be worth it.

It all depends on how much you want that new hardware.
Old March 25, 2013, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I would say it comes from people who for example owned a Galaxy S2 then the S3 was released but there was so little difference it wasn't worth it. For those who own a S2 to upgrade to the S4 will be a nice upgrade.

For those who have the S3 to upgrade to the S4 won't be worth it.

It all depends on how much you want that new hardware.
Could also be signs of the kind of internal community rivalry/jealousy/squabbling that is effecting Ubuntu
Old March 25, 2013, 08:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

S2 to S3 was a big change, S3 to S4 is an even bigger change. People are just whining for the heck of it.
Samsung may not have changed the look of the phone much, but the internals are a big upgrade to the device.
Old March 26, 2013, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think it is a solid upgrade. What more can they do really? I mean sure they can change the look of the phone but big deal. Personally I love touchwhiz and find it a heck of a lot better than HTC's or even stock android's UI.

The HTC One is a great phone but I don't like that you can't put in a SD card. If I could have an HTC One with an SD card slot and touchwhiz I would be very happy.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."