Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2013, 08:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Windows Phone 8

Simple topic, this is really just a topic about those who have questions about windows phone 8 or want to talk about their phone.

I have a Nokia Lumia 920, it's a tough ass phone I must say (dropped it many times, since it slips off my uniform during work.) I really love the camera quality of it, my only problem with it is that it the battery quality can be great at times and horrible on others, visiting white pages seem to heat up the battery easily.

I purchased a Windows Phone 8, instead of Android and iOS because I honestly didn't like both of them, iOS is horrible (had an iPhone 3GS) after a few updates with it, Safari crashes, Mail crashes, everything just either hangs up or crashes and the battery drains in less than 5 hours. As for Android, I never had a Android phone but I had a Sony S Tablet with Android in it, I didn't like it so I sold it 3 weeks after purchasing it, there was something about it that I didn't like I can't put my finger on it, possibly on how almost all apps run on Java :P.

While I cannot say Windows Phone 8 is perfect, it's pretty suitable for me. I honestly like the idea of having live updates tiles in my home page, like weather, gas prices, skype messages etc... Also comes built a text translator, QR code reader(not much a quality really.), music identifier (no need for Shazam).Of course though the major flaw with it is that there's not a lot of apps compare to say iOS or Android. I've also encountered a rare bug that somehow the volume controls wouldn't work (even muting it the speakers still were on.) But after a shut down and reboot the phone, problem goes away.

But Nokia did make a lot of exclusive apps that are great. Especially the Nokia Drive + app (it's a GPS powered navigation app that gives you directions without the need of an internet connection, as long as you download the whole country map.)

But ya that's pretty much all I got to say about it. I made this topic since I didn't seem to find any other Windows Phone 8 topic.

Last edited by ShinraCorp; March 10, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Old March 10, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I use windows RT & windows phone 8 a lot at work, I really like the interface and I think its great but the app support isn't there yet. I'm in the market for a new phone in the next few weeks so I'm looking in to getting a windows phone, but honestly I think I may just end up with a nexus 4 for the app support
Old March 11, 2013, 07:56 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
I use windows RT & windows phone 8 a lot at work, I really like the interface and I think its great but the app support isn't there yet. I'm in the market for a new phone in the next few weeks so I'm looking in to getting a windows phone, but honestly I think I may just end up with a nexus 4 for the app support
Depends on what you mean by "app support" you mean like it's lacking certain apps? If so I agree :) and I suppose it won't happen any time soon until Windows Phone market share rises.
Old March 11, 2013, 08:21 AM
MVP

I've got a Lumia 920 as my daily driver as well.

Pretty happy with it overall, biggest complaint is that there's no way to block ads in the browser.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My girlfriend has a Samsung Ativ S and I like it better than my Galaxy Nexus but I really don't use any apps other than internet browser and microsoft office (which comes with windows phone 8)
Old March 14, 2013, 07:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Honestly, Microsoft has disappointed me with Windows Phone 8. I want to like it but I just cant quite get there. It looks decent but it feels like they are mucking about too much with Windows and stuff in general at the moment to really get it right. The important apps are there, skype, browser, email and office so thats not really a problem for me truely. I could get over it anyways

The main reason I think that I dont have faith in it at the moment is that its a brand new platform and it recieves 1 update a year. Blackberry will likely be at 10.1 when it launches in the states, WebOS and android both recieved countless updates in quick succession when they were young. Microsoft doesnt seem to be willing to push the developments fast enough and thats holding them back. iOS can get away with it now because until they get a proper overhaul (Which I doubt is coming any time soon) really cant change much anyways, glass ceiling. If Microsoft cant push the updates the platform wont develop quickly enough
Old March 14, 2013, 07:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Honestly, Microsoft has disappointed me with Windows Phone 8. I want to like it but I just cant quite get there. It looks decent but it feels like they are mucking about too much with Windows and stuff in general at the moment to really get it right. The important apps are there, skype, browser, email and office so thats not really a problem for me truely. I could get over it anyways

The main reason I think that I dont have faith in it at the moment is that its a brand new platform and it recieves 1 update a year. Blackberry will likely be at 10.1 when it launches in the states, WebOS and android both recieved countless updates in quick succession when they were young. Microsoft doesnt seem to be willing to push the developments fast enough and thats holding them back. iOS can get away with it now because until they get a proper overhaul (Which I doubt is coming any time soon) really cant change much anyways, glass ceiling. If Microsoft cant push the updates the platform wont develop quickly enough
I'm honestly with you on that, the OS is great but it's as if Microsoft doesn't consider it their priority and only shell out updates to it once every 6 months or something (last update was 3 months ago for me) it pains me to see them create something good and just to let it go like that. Heck I think Nokia did more than Microsoft did for the OS.... I mean they're about a dozen Nokia apps available for the phone all of them really great, and it shows they're dedicated to the operating system compare to Microsoft. I've also heard complains from developers about how the SDK is lacking and they don't have access to certain resources (the timer app for example doesn't even work correctly cause Windows Phone 8 updates the time by the minute).
Old March 16, 2013, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
I'm honestly with you on that, the OS is great but it's as if Microsoft doesn't consider it their priority and only shell out updates to it once every 6 months or something (last update was 3 months ago for me) it pains me to see them create something good and just to let it go like that. Heck I think Nokia did more than Microsoft did for the OS.... I mean they're about a dozen Nokia apps available for the phone all of them really great, and it shows they're dedicated to the operating system compare to Microsoft. I've also heard complains from developers about how the SDK is lacking and they don't have access to certain resources (the timer app for example doesn't even work correctly cause Windows Phone 8 updates the time by the minute).
Definitely agree with you about Nokia doing more for the platform at this point than Microsoft. Nokia Drive is one of the main reasons I've been considering a 920 for as long as I have been and why I still plan on owning one eventually. If not for Nokia I would have been surprised to see HTC and Samsung go to as much effort as they did (for Samsung it was 1% but HTC did put in a decent amount though). But Nokia having the software, nice hardware with a camera that still comes up when I discuss cellphone optics I think is the sole reason why Microsoft is still in the game at all.

I have heard the same thing fgor a few developers I've met. Basically "It looks good but once you get down into it it gets frustrating"