Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2013, 12:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Slow Laptop

A friend brought me her Toshiba Satellite A660 laptop with an i5 chip and 6GB of RAM and it is slower than Christmas.

I ran Spybot and she had a couple of Trojans and adware and removed that, ran Malwarebytes that showed nothing, ran AVG and that showed nothing, ran Ccleaner and removed some tool bars, coupon trackers, some games and cleaned things up. Rebooted and things still run slow. For example I tried to do disk cleanup and what usually takes a minute, looks like it hangs. when you do task manager to see what is going on, it just shows the one application using 25% of the cpu and then if you try to close disk cleanup or even the task manager itself nothing happens. The laptop just stares at me doing nothing. I even walked away to give it some time and eventually it gets the task done.

Not sure where to go from here so I am looking for some suggestions. My 7 year old old core duo laptop is faster than this POS (well almost ). I even turned off the wireless to keep it from looking on the internet for updates or virus or whatever.

Something isn't right with it - just can't figure out what.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Wipe it. Do a clean install of the OS.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Wipe it. Do a clean install of the OS.
usually windows xp slows down over time and that is what I would always do but the newer OSs shouldn't have that problem. I would actually see what is running in the back ground allot of people , like my Nephew is a great example of this, have everything that they install running as soon as the OS is started this will slow everything down.
the fastest way to cure this problem is to backup important files like bookmarks and setting then do a complete reinstall.
Or you can just uninstall everything that is not needed or is rarely used.
this can be a very slow process like looking in the task manager and figuring out what every is that is running.
I try to have as minimal programs as possible running
Old March 7, 2013, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Fastest least painful thing to do is a fresh install.
Old March 7, 2013, 06:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it overheating?
Old March 7, 2013, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Is it overheating?
Agree. Did you check if the heatsink is dirty/plugged/if the fan is dead. Could be a throttling issue.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old March 15, 2013, 07:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It is not overheating. It has some kind of Banker Trojen virus according to Spybot but Spybot can't seem to get rid of it. Malwarebytes, AVG and MSE don't find anything. Tried combofix but that didn't seem to fix anything. She can't find the original disks that came with the laptop. Grrrrrrrrrr. did manage to get her data off of it. She does have a backup from 2007 with MS Live Essentials on a DVD but Live is not installed on the laptop so I guess I can reinstall it and see if that helps anything.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:21 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

How many programs loading at start-up?
Old March 15, 2013, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't even bother fixing those anymore... I just nuke and pave. If you install from a decent thumb drive it won't take more than 10 minutes to install a new OS just the updates that take all the time.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the one thing that I am still not to clear on for the newer OS's is that on the older ones sometimes it wouldn't matter if you did a fresh install unless you used a thumb drive or a cd disk and deleted everything on the hard drive , all of the partitions everything then formated every single inch on the Hard drive then reinstalled. I went through hell one time because a virus or what ever it was installed in the boot partition which I didn't delete and when I fired up with a fresh install it only took about 5 minutes to show itself again . now I delete ,formate to which every formate is best for the OS then install. crossing my figures as I say that I haven't had any problems since