Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2013, 12:14 PM
MVP

Default Do We Have A Samsung Rep Here?

My sister has a laptop that she purchased at Xmas. A few weeks later it developed a weird pattern on the screen as seen in the pic. She brought it back to Futureshop/Best Buy(can't recall which ATM) who sent it back for repair. Now they are telling her its $400 to repair because its cracked. There were no cracks when she sent it off. The picture was taken before she sent it. You can see the pattern but no cracks. It was never dropped or anything of that nature but it was shipped initially as she bought it online. She will be picking it up tomorrow as she is certainly not paying $400 to repair a $500 laptop.
Model #: NP355V5C-A03CA

If there is a rep here id appreciate any assistance you can offer.
Thanks!
Attached Images

Old February 27, 2013, 04:40 PM
MVP

If we don't have a rep here does anyone have any suggestions as to how my sister can handle this?
I'll have to see what she says tomorrow when she gets it back to know exactly what condition its in. I'll update when I know what condition it came back in.
Old February 27, 2013, 05:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You have the proof if it comes back cracked. Start off with your manager at your local FS/BB where she took it.
Old February 27, 2013, 06:11 PM
MVP

Yes indeed.
Putting the crack issue aside for a second,
Any idea what the issue pictured above may be? I had thought that it was just a loose connection internally when she sent me the pic a few weeks back. According to my sister there was no physical damage visible but I guess the crack could be somewhere inside the screen rather than externally. Shock damage from shipping maybe? Just wondering what brings on that type of distortion. I don't have a clue about displays or anything laptop related myself.
Old February 27, 2013, 07:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My first guess is that it's just a faulty panel. Cracks are extremely easy to spot.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old February 28, 2013, 04:03 AM
MVP

Good to know LPfan.

Shes picking it up today. If its damaged physically shes gonna flip out at the store. Shes good at that.

If there is no physical damage to the display or anything else what do you folks suggest she take as her next course of action?
Old February 28, 2013, 07:11 AM
MVP

She went to pick it up this morning. Tried it before leaving. It boots but the screen is dead. Apparently Samsungs repair center claimed the pattern was the crack. The BB Manager and the tech support staff there all agreed there was no crack and weren't pleased once they saw the laptop and the photo from prior to it being shipped off. They are sending it back again along with contacting management at Samsungs repair center. Apparently this is very common and happens a few times a week with that repair center according to BB. Not cool.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:19 AM
MVP

My nephew still doesn't have his laptop back from Samsung. This is absurd. Its been months. It was a goddamn brand new laptop about a month old when it died. Shocked at how bad Samsung is. I thought they were one of the best in the laptop world.
Old April 11, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by igot6strings View Post
I thought they were one of the best in the laptop world.
I was under the same impression. I had issues trying to reg my old sammy monitor as well. I have switched to Dell/LG.
Old April 11, 2013, 03:03 PM
MVP

Wow IRQ. That is some nastiness. I always placed Samsung high in my tech to go to list but now they will be at the bottom. I recommended this laptop to my sister to purchase for my nephew so I am rather upset by this too. I feel somewhat responsible for the debacle. I guess she should of went with my 2nd choice, which was an Asus.