Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2013, 08:43 AM
Allstar

I used the old Note for a few months and really liked it (I just broke it unfortunately. If it was a normal fall the phone would have survived but I tried to grab it out of the air and managed to slam the thing into the ground face down at a very high velocity haha). Sure it's a monster of a phone but I got used to it pretty quick. I'll agree that it's a tad on the large size (my hands aren't that big) but the new note isn't as wide so should be more manageable. I'm not using my iPhone 4s and it feels like a toy. The smallest phone I'll go with now would be 4.7" or 5", hard to go back when you get used to that much real estate.

As for your situation I don't think you will be unhappy with either phone. Although I'm currently waiting for the newer phones to come out, I did have the Razr on my list along with the Note II and S3.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 16, 2013, 09:36 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

i was skeptical of the size of the original Note as well but after putting it in my pocket, I realized that it was not as big a deal as I would have thought.

The Note II is a bit narrower, and is indeed a bit easier to handle. But its not a slam dunk for sure, as it is on the edge of what I think is easily portable.

We get a new phone in this house every 6 months between the wife and I, so I could afford to take a risk on a phone size I might have hated. If I were to be stuck with it for a few years, I might not have made the plunge from the 3.5in 4S to the 5.3in Note I. I probably would have went with something in the 4.7in range to be honest. So I see why you might hesitate.

Personally, I might go for the Galaxy S4 in the spring when wifey's contract is up and sell the Note II. If I miss the screen size, then I'll jump to the Note III in November. Why? Not because I am unhappy with the Note II, but I think I could live with the rumoured 4.9in screen just as well as the 5.5in one, and I like new toys. And yes, 4.9in will be a bit more portable than the 5.5in one, even though 5.5 is no issue.

I also hardly ever use the Note II stylus.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Note2, woman has a N4.

Coming from a Galaxy Nexus I thought I would miss stock Android, but I don't. Battery life is awesome, size isn't an issue for me. The screen is wicked, deeper blacks than the N4, and no more pentile display like on the old Nexus. I don't like the lack of a recess for the camera lens, I can see it getting scratched very fast if you don't use a case or gelskin. Rooted and tried a few ROM's, but came back to the stock one after a day. Haven't used stylus at all.

Glad I went with it over a N4, I use my N7 less and less.