Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
Allstar

I'd definitely wait as there are quite a few phones coming out and you seem to have a working phone already. I'm sort of in the same position where I want a new phone but currently have one so I'm going to hang on to see what the S4, Note 3 etc are like.

8 Exciting Android Smartphones for 2013

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 15, 2013, 05:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I'd definitely wait as there are quite a few phones coming out and you seem to have a working phone already. I'm sort of in the same position where I want a new phone but currently have one so I'm going to hang on to see what the S4, Note 3 etc are like.

8 Exciting Android Smartphones for 2013
Same here. I'll hold onto my S2 for a couple more months and see what the new phones have to offer. From what i've been reading, not only are the processors/gpus getting better but screen res/ppi are as well. Should be interesting
Old February 15, 2013, 06:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I currently have the S3, the Note II, Nexus 4 and the Optimus G. Out of all those, the Optimus G is my favourite phone. Yes, the Nexus 4 is great since it does have vanilla Android, but the G just feels like a more polished version of the Nexus 4.
The Note II is a great phone with phenomenal battery life, but it's just a tad too big to use as a daily driver IMHO.

I have heard good things about the Razr HD LTE, however, if you're getting a phone now, you might as well go quad core (Note II, Optimus G or Nexus 4). One thing to keep in mind with the Nexus 4 is that you won't be able to enable LTE anymore with 4.2.2, unless of course you flash the old radio from 4.2.1 to re-enable LTE support.
BTW, battery life on the Nexus 4 with HSPA is phenomenal...
Old February 15, 2013, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nexus 4, not only because it is arguably the best phone right now, but the price is completely untouchable. The 4.2.2 update has eliminated a lot of the kernel battery drain.

Plus, when android 5.0 releases in a few months, you won't have to wait until 2014 to use it.... It's likely going to be a great release
Old February 15, 2013, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The thing that appeals to me about the Razr is the build quality is really second to none. As for the Nexus, the lack of a micro sd card is a killer. I have a 32GB card in my current phone and it is more than half full with music, movies and pictures, so I need the storage. I looked and from what I can tell while the Optimus G comes with 32GB it also doesn't have a micro sd card slot, so again just can't do it.

It really is a tough choice and yes "IF" I could wait I would as I know there are some 1080p phones coming in March/April but the thing is, if this can happen it has to be bought before March, no choice at all. So because of that I can really only pick from currently available phones. I would love to be able to get a S4 or Motorola "X-Phone" when they come out but just can't wait.

As of now I am really going back and forth between the Razr and the Note II, with the Note being just slightly in the lead. Size is a concern though as this would be my daily use phone. Question for those who have owned/own the Note II, how is the build quality? Do you feel like you should have a case on it? I still say that is one of the best things about my current Razr, no case needed.

Old February 15, 2013, 07:56 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have a thin case on my Note 2. Replacement back covers are about 30 I think
Fold for team #54196
Old February 15, 2013, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The thing with a case is it is making an already big phone even bigger. Honestly a tough choice. I think I will have to go to the store on the weekend and hold them to see what I can live with for size.

Old February 15, 2013, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Have you considered the new blackberry. Personally it is the best experience hands down. The flow may seem like a marketing phrase but its quite acurate, you go from one app to anouther and to messaging and notifications in a smooth, no stopping kind of way
Old February 15, 2013, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not a fan of Blackberry, never really have been and I just don't see enough to get me to use them again.

Old February 15, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Have you had a look at the new Z10, in person? Completely different device than blackberries of the past. Never been a blackberry fan myself in the past but this new one has me sold.