Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2013, 09:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Question Help me find a laptop!

I posted this on NCIX, but thought I should somewhat broaden my search efforts.

So i'm selling off my desktop(s) and looking to consolidate to a laptop. Many reasons involved, none that need to be discussed here.

I'm looking for any other advice people would have for make/model that I haven't considered yet.

The specs:
- Gaming laptop w/ decent video card.
- Standard Keyboard. Not a french keyboard. This limits a lot of options.
- 15" screen.
- Don't care about hdd, will sub an SSD I already own.
- Decent quad core i7 (see: gaming laptop)
- 16G DDR3, or able to upgrade to 12-16G..

The MSI laptop here: [ MSI GE60 0ND-256US i7 3630QM 8GB 750GB 15.6in LED GTX660M 2GB BT HDMI DVDRW Windows 8 Notebook ] fills all that. However I would love to find a laptop with a full docking station. Not a little usb docking station that lags - but a full fledged with DVI outs, network, power for the laptop, etc.

The point of the docking station, is that we have one office area in the house with one desk.. and i'd like to purchase two laptops (one for me, one for wife) and we can share the workspace.

Otherwise I think i'm stuck with the MSI, which isn't a bad laptop or anything.. but i'm looking for alternate options.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:11 AM
Rookie

Hi Rison, good to see another old school ffxi player around!
Not sure if you have looked into Asus gaming laptops, but they have a good reputation for build quality.
Newegg.ca - ASUS G55VW-DH71-CA Notebook Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
Old February 11, 2013, 10:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I've said this again and again: Sager all the way for gaming notebooks.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rison View Post
I posted this on NCIX, but thought I should somewhat broaden my search efforts.

So i'm selling off my desktop(s) and looking to consolidate to a laptop. Many reasons involved, none that need to be discussed here.

I'm looking for any other advice people would have for make/model that I haven't considered yet.

The specs:
- Gaming laptop w/ decent video card.
- Standard Keyboard. Not a french keyboard. This limits a lot of options.
- 15" screen.
- Don't care about hdd, will sub an SSD I already own.
- Decent quad core i7 (see: gaming laptop)
- 16G DDR3, or able to upgrade to 12-16G..

The MSI laptop here: [ MSI GE60 0ND-256US i7 3630QM 8GB 750GB 15.6in LED GTX660M 2GB BT HDMI DVDRW Windows 8 Notebook ] fills all that. However I would love to find a laptop with a full docking station. Not a little usb docking station that lags - but a full fledged with DVI outs, network, power for the laptop, etc.

The point of the docking station, is that we have one office area in the house with one desk.. and i'd like to purchase two laptops (one for me, one for wife) and we can share the workspace.

Otherwise I think i'm stuck with the MSI, which isn't a bad laptop or anything.. but i'm looking for alternate options.

Thanks in advance.
Have one, like it but no docking station.

Here is generic:
Targus USB 3.0 Dual Video Docking Station with Power at Memory Express

Sager looks nice also.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, they make nice gaming laptops - but have a bit of a premium and don't have a docking station.
Also, they are really thick which doesn't appeal to me. And the GPU vents on the cheaper ones are downward facing, which means either the GPU would overheat or it'd burn my leg in bed.

I'm just that picky. :)

Quote:
I'll learn to manage my anger, when people learn to manage their stupid.

Last edited by Rison; February 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:03 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

What about the lenovo Y580? Fits your requirements, not sure if they make a dock for it though.
Old February 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
Rookie

Sager/Avadirect/Eurocom all Clevo Based -Eurocom is based in Ontario but sometimes they charge a Premium compared to the others
MSI
ASUS(uses custom MXM)
Alienware (dell) (uses custom BIOS for MXM)
Cyberpower-Ibuypower use Sames chassis as many of the ones listed (except alienware and asus)

All listed can be found in retail in Canada or Ordered and Shipped to Canada

There is multitudes of others as well but beware there is lots out of business and they're sites are still operational but they are no longer in business