Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2013, 11:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Surface Pro

Anyone picking up a Surface Pro? I'm curious to see what people's reactions to it and their experience. I'm not ready to pull the pin just yet as I'm waiting to see what the ASUS transformer book and the Samsung tablets running 8 pro turn out like.
Old February 9, 2013, 12:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

To say i'm intrigued by it is an understatement. Probably going to hold off until my current laptop shits out though.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm interested but its not in my budget right now.

I dunno, its my dream tablet, no compromise full windows and a stylus. BUT the stylus placement is useless, it will not stay on when you put it in a bag. It is a bit heavier as well but its solidly built and I'm not going to complain too much about that, for me anyways it snot a problem. Battery life... 4 hours isn't really ideal but for most of my purposes it suits it fine, just hope they release a dock that I can drop this on at home. Finally 900 is a bit expensive but its what I was expecting and I'm fine with it seeing what it is capable of.

For me anyways, the thing is, I am not buying this to replace a laptop or even really for use as a laptop I'm buying a tablet primarily that when needed I can do serious work on. The Surface Pro will be both more portable and more usable on the go than my laptop.
Old February 9, 2013, 05:19 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Bought one today from MS's Canadian store.

I have to say, their Customer Support is AMAZING. Something happened with the approval on my credit card, I called, was on the phone for 30 minutes with them and ended up reordering by phone. The CSR called ME back to confirm the order actually went through about 2 hours later. Count me impressed.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

I have to say, their Customer Support is AMAZING. Something happened with the approval on my credit card, I called, was on the phone for 30 minutes with them and ended up reordering by phone. The CSR called ME back to confirm the order actually went through about 2 hours later. Count me impressed.
Does this mean you'll be giving us a review?

I think it's a good start in the right direction, but it isn't quite there yet. They need to get the stylus internal, bump up the storage, and possibly add an extra USB port or 2. Or some sort of docking/port replicator setup so you could use it like a laptop/desktop. All-day (~8h) battery life would be nice too, 4h seems a bit short, especially when the Acer W700 offers close to 8h in a similar form factor and specs.
Old February 9, 2013, 10:13 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks awesome, but the battery life scares me away. The next gen with haswell should be fantastic.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old February 9, 2013, 10:46 PM
Allstar

dear ******* lordy, played around with it for quite a while at the MS boutique store (just hardware - already use win8 on desktop). I've never been so impressed in a hands-on before.

people that are making complaints are people that expect it to be an ipad competitor. They focus solely on the tablety aspects of the device (ie, they don't care about productivity), in which case the Pro is a HORRIBLE device (so is the RT for that matter). it's convenient to forget that everything else that it does. complete bullshit of course.

if you look at it as an ultrabook killer though; it's drop-dead amazing. there is NOTHING that matches the screen and overall build quality in that weight class (completely aware of any contenders to be honest). if it's a failure, it's because it's a good product at the wrong price, not a bad product at any price.

basically, judge the device by it's usecases, not the formfactor.

is it perfect? HELL no. is it definitely good? damn right. will it's flaws be easily corrected by the next iteration or two? most definitely.

EDIT:

irt to JD,

the usb situation honestly erks me as well, 2 usb should really be minimum for a productivity device. I'm guessing they're betting that no one will use a mouse and the port will solely be for storage devices.

EDIT2:

microsoft is out of their mind with not bundling a keyboard cover in that price tag. totally ridiculous money grab.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

yeah I was disappointed when I foundout that neither office nor that keyboard case was included

the reason th4y couldn't internalize the stylus was because it would have blocked off one of the cooling slots, hopefully next gen they can get around that as it is useless where it as clever as it may seem at first
Old February 10, 2013, 07:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

That's quite the stark difference in CS when all of us were dealing with Google and the Nexus 7 fiasco back in the summer
Old February 10, 2013, 07:55 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
people that are making complaints are people that expect it to be an ipad competitor. They focus solely on the tablety aspects of the device (ie, they don't care about productivity), in which case the Pro is a HORRIBLE device (so is the RT for that matter). it's convenient to forget that everything else that it does. complete bullshit of course.
I've been extremely frustrated by this. Most people just don't get it. The general stupidity of people has thoroughly permeated tech.

Of course, that's because, all these years, most people haven't needed a general purpose PC. Most only need browsing, social, media playback and basic apps/games.

Unfortunately, this negativity could derail Surface by influencing a lot of people who could benefit from it, but are swayed by mainstream press/opinions. Especially students and young professionals.