Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2013, 11:43 PM
Allstar

Here's one thing that REALLY irked me. I could not 'touch-scroll' using the stylus; however, using my own stylus (just a capacitive targus one), everything worked as expected.

here was my test case, go to the start screen, put the stylus on an empty patch and flick left or right. nothing happened with the pro's one, but with the targus one, it scrolled in the proper direction, like you would expect.

now, the MS rep said that they were using special firmware in response to an entirely different question, so I don't know if that affected scrolling with the stylus.
Old February 15, 2013, 02:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah I found that strange too, for some reason to scroll with the stylus you have to use the scroll bar at the bottom. My explanation is that they are treating the stylus like a mouse, you cant scroll just anywhere with the mouse my dragging on the homescreen, if you want to click and scroll there you have to go down to the bottom again and use that bar. Mouse gets around this by having a scroll wheel however.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Finally picked one of these bad boys up, came with a Type cover and I added a Wedge k/b and a bluetooth mouse.

Upgraded from a ASUS EP121 Slate with Win8, so I kind of knew what to expect. The Surface has a much more premium feel, and the contrast/DPI of the screen is head and shoulders above the ASUS.

The size is a con when in desktop mode, but an acceptable one given that it is quite heavy for a tablet and totally negated when hooked up to an external monitor. The power supply cable is short, and ssd/battery not being accessible are other annoyances.

It's perfect for what I need to do with it at work(Excel/JMP), pretty much as close as one can get to one device for all tasks.

Old July 7, 2013, 12:14 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you get some sort of crazy sale on one? Seems like a bad time to buy the Surface Pro with Haswell right around the corner for tablets...
Old July 7, 2013, 05:46 PM
Rookie

I very badly want a full windows 8 tablet. I'm stuck deciding between the Razer Edge and the Surface pro. The pro has the edge in sleekness and weight/size. But the razer has the edge in power/battery life/potential to game on the go. What do you guys think about the edge?
Old July 7, 2013, 07:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Like I said, wait for the Haswell refreshes of Windows 8 tablets. It'll only improve performance, battery life, heat output (less fans/no fans) and thus making them thinner/lighter.

That's personally what I'm waiting on. No point in buying "first gen" now.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:04 PM
MVP

If you look at specs/comparisons between Ivy Bridge and Haswell parts, it doesn't look like performance or heat output at load are hugely different - by far the biggest difference is non-load power draw, so you get great battery gains from this, but it doesn't let you shrink the form factor a whole lot without affecting the turbo.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Did you get some sort of crazy sale on one? Seems like a bad time to buy the Surface Pro with Haswell right around the corner for tablets...
It cost me $125 on top of what I sold my EP121 for, a no brainer.

On a side note- I love people that overspend on gear, only to have to sell it when something unexpected comes up( rent, medical, life in general). If and when a Haswell update comes, I'll be patient and scoop one up again from someone who needs to sell theirs.

Old July 15, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You guys should really get the chance to try out a Thinkpad Helix... It's a beast, and I want one. But the $2k price tag for the i7/8GB/256GB SSD model is a little hard to stomach!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 15, 2013, 07:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Vortex View Post
You guys should really get the chance to try out a Thinkpad Helix... It's a beast, and I want one. But the $2k price tag for the i7/8GB/256GB SSD model is a little hard to stomach!
Yeah I had one of those for the night (took it from work). It was intended for the exec's, but of course, we had to do some "QA" first

It's not bad, but the keyboard dock is a total write-off. I don't know who thought that hinge design was a good idea. Likewise, the tablet gets ridiculously hot. I could barely hold it after installing some software.

Battery life (in tablet-only) was only like 3h too. I think the Helix could be decent with Haswell and an updated keyboard dock.

It still isn't "the one".