Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2013, 10:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sorry, there is a huge issue with Windows 8 Pro. It can't decide what it is. Desktop OS or tablet OS? I can't STAND that it throws you only the old desktop for everything from browsing files to uploading pictures. That's just unacceptable.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:07 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Sorry, there is a huge issue with Windows 8 Pro. It can't decide what it is. Desktop OS or tablet OS? I can't STAND that it throws you only the old desktop for everything from browsing files to uploading pictures. That's just unacceptable.
I agree. Windows has always had identity issues, typically consumer vs professional. I'm pulling this percentage out of my ass, but it seems like up to 90% of the features and functionality of Windows have always been useless and either confusing or obstructive to each user in some way since the consumer and workstation desktop was merged in XP. Before that, it was DOS and Windows coexisting in the consumer and small business space.

Still, I think it's a very good first attempt at a hybrid OS which is surely the direction most devices will go in. Perhaps in a couple of years, it's not difficult to imagine a "phone" device that doubles as a full keyboard/mouse desktop when docked that will be sufficient for most people.

Last edited by Desiato; February 10, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Bluetooth mice and keyboards are always an option.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah I am using Win8 on my desktop right now and metro adds very little to the desktop experience. Infact I find the entire metro part of it extremely frustrating quite frequently but as long as I avoid that I don't mind Win8 at all, maybe that's because its just a more polished Win7 but.....

The concept of a Hybrid OS that has a different interface depending on what input method you are using interests me but Microsoft has a long way to go before it really works as it should. Metro is much too skin deep at this point, until you can run real native apps that have some substantial power to them I don't see it changing. At the same time I think you'd basically end up with 2 OSes as well and the install size would balloon. MS would be better off doing 1 tablet/touchscreen OS and one desktop one I think.

I hope in the future Microsoft changes the kickstand to be able to be used in the other direction as well so it can be used on the lap as well as on a desk.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:01 PM
Allstar

I would think the stand would need to be (relatively) exceptionally heavy for that to work? at least 3-4 pounds?

EDIT:

can surface tablets even be used as a tablet when it comes with a touch cover?

from what I've seen out of apple users using ipads and smart covers, they don't actually take the cover off the device, they just flip it around the back of the device.

if one were to try that with a surface + touch cover, wouldn't you end up typing as you tried to hold the cover open? how well does it actually wrap around the device anyways?
Old February 10, 2013, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I would think the stand would need to be (relatively) exceptionally heavy for that to work? at least 3-4 pounds?

EDIT:

from what I've seen out of apple users using ipads and smart covers, they don't actually take the cover off the device, they just flip it around the back of the device.

if one were to try that with a surface + touch cover, wouldn't you end up typing as you tried to hold the cover open? how well does it actually wrap around the device anyways?
It has a sensor so when you bend it back it disables the keyboard.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post

EDIT:

In the past I've also seen people turn the keyboard around, so its still attached but you cant accidentally hit keys. I cannot confirm or deny a sensor being involved to disable the keyboard.

As for the stand, I don't know how heavy it would be, theoretically a few struts (think folding table) to give it support in the other direction could work. Then again that's just in my head and is very much just a theory.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:01 PM
Allstar

^ ah, good to know
Old February 14, 2013, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Spent some time on one of these at the local microsoft store for a while the other day and I have to say I quite liked it actually. Yes it is quite heavy, using it in one hand put a fair strain on my arm but nothing I couldnt live with. The stylus makes using the desktop portion quite possible, also writing with the stylus worked quite well for me, I can see myself taking quick notes with it vs using the keyboard, as for writing recognition, for other stuff though I'd likely still use the keyboard. This is still my ideal tablet currently, though I do wonder what an 8 inch version would look like....
Old February 14, 2013, 07:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This gives a good insight as to how it's built: Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - iFixit

Basically, impossible to fix anything yourself. But it is quite the engineering feat I must say, considering it's Microsoft's first run at hardware really.

I just wish that mSATA SSD was easily accessible. Then you could at least upgrade the storage.