Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 5, 2013, 09:10 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default EUROCOM Monster Gaming Notebook Review Comment Thread

Gaming notebooks are everywhere these days but EUROCOM's Monster is certainly unique. It boasts netbook-like dimensions yet utilizes high end hardware, allowing for high end gaming results from a system that weighs less than 4 lbs.

Read more here: EUROCOM Monster Gaming Notebook Review
Old February 5, 2013, 11:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looks like it's more a mobile PC than a gaming laptop (screen keyboard etc too small to have an enjoyable session on)
but to be able to use it anywhere and then plug into a monitor-mouse and keyboard at a number of destinations may really appeal to some.

Biggest down-sides I see from the review are all down to it's size. 13" or 15" would make much better platforms allowing for better screen, keyboard and cooling (and a second HDD)

Only other thing is the 650m not being upgrade-able when buying.
(ps you have "(Link)" in the first page that is just txt.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:09 AM

I have to agree. I think there were some significant sacrifices made for miniaturization, pricing being foremost. I would rather pay $200 less for a 13.3" chassis which comes in a perhaps 3/4 lb more but uses slightly more standardized components.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Glad to see a Canuck company selling this, I was not aware that Eurocom existed up until mention of it came up on these forums. This particular notebook misses the mark for my uses, I ended up with a MSI notebook. The only thing the MSI is lacking is an illuminated keyboard.
Old February 6, 2013, 06:48 AM

While the Monster may be targeted towards a very specific crowd, I think their Shark may be an awesome option for the majority of gamers. 15.6", 1080P, i5-3210M, 8GB, GTX 660M, possibility of THREE SSDs or HDDs, 8-cell battery......all for about $1120.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Very nice actually, and SKY its good to hear about that other model, though I wouldn't have the $$ I know a few people who will and that would fit perfectly.
You going to get a review of it? (The Shark)

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 6, 2013, 07:15 AM

I have a few other notebook reviews in progress (Dell XPS 12, Samsung Series 5) as well as some other stuff but after that I may take some time to look at the Shark.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have a few other notebook reviews in progress (Dell XPS 12, Samsung Series 5) as well as some other stuff but after that I may take some time to look at the Shark.
Perfect thanks, hopefully if you do I can point it to a few people I know who've been in the market for a bit now.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 6, 2013, 08:04 AM
Allstar

I just want to confirm something that was mentioned about the hard drives. On the bottom of page 3 it say's you can substitute the SSD with any 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive. Can you really fit a 3.5" drive in this thing!?!

Edit: Great review BTW. Glad to see it's from Eurocom as I've been interested in these laptops.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old February 6, 2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I just want to confirm something that was mentioned about the hard drives. On the bottom of page 3 it say's you can substitute the SSD with any 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive. Can you really fit a 3.5" drive in this thing!?!
Nope, that was my mistake. The LENGTH of the HDD bracket allows for larger drives but the HEIGHT does not.