Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2013, 09:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Laptop for less than $500-$600

Hi everyone,

So I'm continuing the search for a decent laptop for my cousin. I know she doesn't want to spend much, so I figure under $600 is the sweet spot for her, since she's a income-less student haha.

Who makes decent laptops these days anyways? Keep in mind she won't do any gaming whatsoever, and will just use it for studying/surfing/music/movies stuff like that.

What do you think of this one? Specs wise it seems decent.

Lenovo Ideapad 15.6" Laptop - Black (Intel Core i3-3110 / 750GB HDD / 8GB RAM / Windows 8) : 15" Laptops - Future Shop

Your input is much appreciated!!
Old February 1, 2013, 02:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you want quality built laptops than ASUS and MSI are both the brands I recommend, HOWEVER you will need to provide us some details as to what she will do with her laptop?

Any High Definition video watching?
Is she making music/movies/picture editing?

I'm guessing since she's a student she'll need a productivity software, unless you know she already has Office or planning to use a free productivity software (Libre office for example).
Old February 1, 2013, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ASUS S56CA-DH31 Intel Core i3 3217U 6GB 500GB+24GB SSD 15.6in DVDRW BT Windows 8 Ultrabook

done deal :P 2 year warranty 1 year accidental

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Old February 1, 2013, 02:28 PM
Allstar

I just got a Lenovo Ideapad Premium for my parents and the construction it is not bad for the price. I would go in and flex one of these. Lenovo has to drop build quality like everyone else to put laptops into this range. I don't know the difference from the IdeaPad non Premium and the Premium model, if its just the aluminium chassis then its prob the best build quality for that price.

[EDIT] NM Souls looks pretty good.
Old February 1, 2013, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I just got a Lenovo Ideapad Premium for my parents and the construction it is not bad for the price. I would go in and flex one of these. Lenovo has to drop build quality like everyone else to put laptops into this range. I don't know the difference from the IdeaPad non Premium and the Premium model, if its just the aluminium chassis then its prob the best build quality for that price.

[EDIT] NM Souls looks pretty good.
Right now there is only 3 brands for low cost but good quality I buy #1 MSI (local support) #2Asus (warranty)#3 Lenovo (great customer service and great products)

High end lots of money
Gaming (MSI and only MSI)
Business (Dell... yah you heard me Dell, their corporate stuff rocks and I'm on one right now.)
Business desktop replacement (MSI GT70)

Ultra books Asus is my first as they have a great warranty and lots of features

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Old February 1, 2013, 04:25 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

She won't be doing anything really other than copying photos over from her phone, and typing the odd document, she doesn't really need a power house. I'd kinda had my eye on the Asus one too, I'll have to get back to her and see what she wants.

I don't suppose there is anything out there that still comes preloaded with Win7 though, is there? Anything with a HD 4000 integrated is more than adequate.

Thanks!