Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2013, 08:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default RIM is No More. Long Live BlackBerry.

During today’s BB10 press conference, Canada-based Research in Motion announced they’re officially changing their name to BlackBerry.

Read more here: Quick Note: RIM is No More. Long Live BlackBerry | Hardware Canucks
Old January 30, 2013, 09:39 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Yet another death knell.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:48 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Methinks not.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think this is a great company decision. Blackberry essentially is the company, so why not leverage the name a drop RIM (there are many people who don't know what/who RIM is).
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 30, 2013, 01:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

I think that B;ackberry is going to be fighting a huge uphill battle. I don't think launching the Z10 first was the wisest decision. Sky said "Long Live Blackberry" but where is the iconic phone design that people of old have fallen in love with?

Of my quick skimming over videos and reviews, this device doesn't offer much on the user end that iOS, Android or even WP8 doesn't really have, or that would entice one to switch over to. I think the Q10 will be a different story though..
Old January 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Of my quick skimming over videos and reviews, this device doesn't offer much on the user end that iOS, Android or even WP8 doesn't really have, or that would entice one to switch over to. I think the Q10 will be a different story though..
I think it's more of retaining existing BB corporate users, or whatever is left of them. BB tanked because their phones were up to snuff against iOS and Android and not because of their secured servers. While the global outage didn't help, they can now go back to their corporate and government customers and say "hey don't worry about BYOD just use our phone now that it's as good as the other guys".

EDIT: Looks like all those RIM job jokes are history now.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

With Apple and Samsung powering forward (and doing a decent job) to cater to those business users (with WP8 not far behind I imagine) I reiterate my point that BB has an uphill battle to fight.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I like it. RIM always reminded me of a butthole.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why it wasn't done sooner. BlackBerry's brand cachet is still valuable and most lay-people figured the company was called BlackBerry in the first place.

Not a bad phone they brought out, either. I hope BB's fans feel it was worth the wait. Lord knows they've been patient enough.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Decent device, but 2 years too late I'd say. It doesn't look quite as streamlined as some of the current Android devices personally. Although it looks like a corporate device, they're really investing in the consumer market more so it seems which I'm not sure is the wisest thing. I don't see people dropping their iPhones or Galaxy devices for this.