Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   RIM is No More. Long Live BlackBerry. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/59415-rim-no-more-long-live-blackberry.html)

SKYMTL January 30, 2013 07:45 AM

RIM is No More. Long Live BlackBerry.

During today’s BB10 press conference, Canada-based Research in Motion announced they’re officially changing their name to BlackBerry.

Read more here: Quick Note: RIM is No More. Long Live BlackBerry | Hardware Canucks

Squeetard January 30, 2013 08:39 AM

Yet another death knell.

SKYMTL January 30, 2013 08:48 AM

Methinks not.

Bond007 January 30, 2013 09:17 AM

I think this is a great company decision. Blackberry essentially is the company, so why not leverage the name a drop RIM (there are many people who don't know what/who RIM is).

LarkStarr January 30, 2013 12:47 PM

I think that B;ackberry is going to be fighting a huge uphill battle. I don't think launching the Z10 first was the wisest decision. Sky said "Long Live Blackberry" but where is the iconic phone design that people of old have fallen in love with?

Of my quick skimming over videos and reviews, this device doesn't offer much on the user end that iOS, Android or even WP8 doesn't really have, or that would entice one to switch over to. I think the Q10 will be a different story though..

moocow January 30, 2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkStarr (Post 687497)
Of my quick skimming over videos and reviews, this device doesn't offer much on the user end that iOS, Android or even WP8 doesn't really have, or that would entice one to switch over to. I think the Q10 will be a different story though..

I think it's more of retaining existing BB corporate users, or whatever is left of them. BB tanked because their phones were up to snuff against iOS and Android and not because of their secured servers. While the global outage didn't help, they can now go back to their corporate and government customers and say "hey don't worry about BYOD just use our phone now that it's as good as the other guys".

EDIT: Looks like all those RIM job jokes are history now.

LarkStarr January 30, 2013 01:09 PM

With Apple and Samsung powering forward (and doing a decent job) to cater to those business users (with WP8 not far behind I imagine) I reiterate my point that BB has an uphill battle to fight.

bigFOIG January 30, 2013 01:10 PM

I like it. RIM always reminded me of a butthole.

DkRk January 30, 2013 01:19 PM

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why it wasn't done sooner. BlackBerry's brand cachet is still valuable and most lay-people figured the company was called BlackBerry in the first place.

Not a bad phone they brought out, either. I hope BB's fans feel it was worth the wait. Lord knows they've been patient enough.

JD January 30, 2013 02:17 PM

Decent device, but 2 years too late I'd say. It doesn't look quite as streamlined as some of the current Android devices personally. Although it looks like a corporate device, they're really investing in the consumer market more so it seems which I'm not sure is the wisest thing. I don't see people dropping their iPhones or Galaxy devices for this.