Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2013, 07:17 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes, Android can say that on their quad cores, look at the Note II, Optimus G and Nexus 4. All blazing fast at everything and I've never seen either device lag (I own all 3).
Sure, some features are gimmicky, but a lot of them are a convenience factor that no other device offers.
Old March 27, 2013, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Yes, Android can say that on their quad cores, look at the Note II, Optimus G and Nexus 4. All blazing fast at everything and I've never seen either device lag (I own all 3).
Sure, some features are gimmicky, but a lot of them are a convenience factor that no other device offers.
Which ones? Eye tracking does nothing for me, I have zero problems scrolling with my thumb as I hold my device in one hand anyways, and the auto pause when you look away from the device would really annoy me quickly. Finger hovering also a very interesting feature that has zero real world use, I could hover my finger over for a preview or I could just click on the thing and read the entire thing.

The one feature Samsung has come up with recently is the "windows" concept they've added. On screens that big it is a necessity. Personally it really irks me that with android you either get a gigantic phone or you get a low end device

I will admit that for the most part android is fast but ive never understood quite why they have so much trouble with scrolling
Old March 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The hover feature is really cool when you use it, I actually would rather not discuss what I've seen as I'm not sure what I can say, but when you get your hands on one, you will see value in some of the new gestures.
And the GS4, though has a really big screen, it doesn't feel big in the hand at all.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
The hover feature is really cool when you use it, I actually would rather not discuss what I've seen as I'm not sure what I can say, but when you get your hands on one, you will see value in some of the new gestures.
And the GS4, though has a really big screen, it doesn't feel big in the hand at all.

The hover feature is cool, I just dont think I'd find it at all useful in reality. Odds are the title is enough of a preview to get me interested in the rest of the article and with the speed of these devices going into it isnt going to be much slower.

One of the things that bothers me with the GS3 is that it is gigantic and weighs absolutely nothing. Before the Z10 I was going to pick up a Nokia 920 because it felt good in my hands. I dont understand the entire obsession in making phones weigh as little as possible, I like how the 920 let me remember there was something actually in my hand. And for the record 4.7inches I already consider quite large
Old March 27, 2013, 01:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The Lumia 920 is a beast, it's far too heavy in my opinion, great phone though.
Well the GS4 at 5 inches is overall smaller than the GS3 in dimensions, and also feels much better in terms of build quality.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'll definitely have to play with the new samsung and HTC phones when they come out, will likely pick up a nexus eventually just to muck with android a bit on a more serious basis but in my experience I just like BB10 more. Maybe if I got right down to it and invested the time in customizing it to my liking I might learn to like it but I like BB10 at stock much more than any android variant I have seen.

The Lumia 920 is a brick, I just dont understand how its too heavy

The terms "flow" and "peek" may seem like marketing buzz words but they are actually how the OS works quite accurately. You dont ever have to stop and think about what your doing, you go into an app, in 1 gesture you can go to your notifications and messaging in the hub, or you minimize an app and quickly jump into another. Its smooth I geuss is a good way of describing it, smooth fluid motions are how you use the OS.

Was out today and spoke for quite a while to me about the Z10 and compared it to a GS3 and the iphone. 1 thing that caught my eye, that I hadnt noticed before, but the BB10 keyboard is actually visually different, the android and ios keyboards are setup like an actually keyboard but BB10's actually makes use of the entire screen, this might have something to do with me having more success on that keyboard than on the other virtual versions.
Old March 28, 2013, 06:15 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well the prob I have with BB10 is that it's not obvious, sure, when you learn how to use it you probably find it easy, but that's the point, you shouldn't have to learn how to use it.
With Android, you can jump in and figure it out in 2 mins because everything just makes sense, home, back and menu button. Those just make perfect sense to me and it takes no time to learn it.

Have you tried swiftkey on Android? By far the best keyboard IMHO, I can type on it without looking in many cases because it's auto correction is that good.
Old March 28, 2013, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Well the prob I have with BB10 is that it's not obvious, sure, when you learn how to use it you probably find it easy, but that's the point, you shouldn't have to learn how to use it.
With Android, you can jump in and figure it out in 2 mins because everything just makes sense, home, back and menu button. Those just make perfect sense to me and it takes no time to learn it.

Have you tried swiftkey on Android? By far the best keyboard IMHO, I can type on it without looking in many cases because it's auto correction is that good.
Except you cant just jump into android and start using it at its potential, and the buttons on the HTC One are more confusing than anything else I've ever seen and the S3 isnt much better once you start looking for more advanced features. And to start using it fully you have to spend a lot of time customizing it to suit you, the swiftkey keyboard is a prime example. The amount of customization I've seen on every Android device I have seen in the wild is staggering.

I fail to see what is not obvious about how you interact with the OS. maybe its because of my extended use of WebOS but I had no trouble adapting. The most complicated gesture is getting into the hub and I found that is the most natural motion with your thumb from the bottom left corner of the device. Other than that theres nothing I found that needs to be learnt.

I have tried swiftkey I didnt like that I wasnt hitting keys but was swiping, wasnt for me. May have been I didnt give it enough time but I found I was much less accurate than if I was just hitting keys. The thing I noticed when using the GS3 again yesterday is that the stock android keyboard is terribly laggy compared to anything else I have used. The Blackberry keyboard, for me anyways is the best I have typed on.