Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2013, 05:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I might give that a shot and see how that goes.
Old March 25, 2013, 07:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not sure why you would turn off LTE, that's a massive benefit IMHO.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

The S4's are notorious for sucking up power under LTE networks. There's no real benefit to LTE connectivity except being slightly faster. If you can wait an extra second for your daily penis enlargement spam, then disable it.
Old March 25, 2013, 01:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The S4's were quite good on power consumption actually, you're thinking of the Snapdragon S3.
The S4 has probably been one of the best LTE chipsets to date from a battery consumption standpoint. The S4 Pro is decent, but not as good as the S4 IMHO.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

Honestly if you dont give the device a week or 2 before passing judgement you wont understand it. Also thumb over forefinger, most of the OS is designed to be used with the thumb.

And honestly, the entire "its not intuitive" argument is bogus, its just a different way of using a device that your not useto, gestures >>>> button tapping any day of the week for me.
Old March 26, 2013, 11:49 AM
MVP

That you have to learn gestures is inherently counter-intuitive. Most Z10 people I talk to say that they picked it up after a couple of days; that is to say, the gestures became natural. In contrast, most iOS and Android users figure out how to navigate the OS in minutes.

I've seen experienced Z10 users navigate BB10, and while interesting to me, I have absolutely no interest in committing any muscle memory to it.

This will make/break a device in the mainstream. Even most techies are only casual smartphone users in my experience.

My personal opinion is that the default settings, back and home buttons make a lot of sense. But regardless of which system is better, that most apps are designed to support some default buttons makes it more difficult to port to BB10. That in addition to that most people are already comfortable with the iOS/Android way of doing things is a big obstacle to overcome. I think the exclusion of standard buttons was a mistake.
Old March 26, 2013, 12:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I will use my 2 year old as a unbiased benchmark, he can pick up any device and feel comfortable with it. He went from being able to go through our old blackberries(non touch) to the new Z10 with no problems. Then when he visits his grandparents that have iOS he can navigate them no problem. He has used his aunts Android with no issue.... There is a learning curve to everything but to say that any of the three are unintuitive is not true, at best its unintuitive to you because you are used to something else.

If blackberry copied android or iOS in functionality then what would the point be?
Old March 26, 2013, 01:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Personally I find the OS quite fluid and logical, but it does take time to adjust. Also, I disagree with the `new android phones are coming out with better hardware, and the new iphone 6 is coming` argument, iPhone has been a copy and paste with minor improvements since the 4s as with the new Samsung S4. The smartphone market is increasingly about OS functionality while hardware capability is evening out with competitors. As for the app eco-system, it has the highest number of apps in a debuting mobile OS, and although some major apps like instagram and netflix are not supported this is a expected move because no one will spend the time developing for a platform that is currently unproven in popularity. If the popularity of the platform increases, to be revealed in Thursdays quarterly release, then app support will likely increase.

And the update does fix many issues, including battery life, only 3 weeks after the device release. Say what you want, but so far Blackberry is proving better at updates than anyone else. Give BB10 time to mature, and it could become the number 3 mobile OS.
Old March 26, 2013, 02:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You're right on the iPhone, but you're completely wrong on the S4. The new gestures Samsung added to the OS are quite convenient, so wait till you try it out before you say there's no changes.
I've played around with both the GS4 and the HTC One and both are fantastic devices that are far far nicer than the Z10.
Old March 27, 2013, 12:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

S4 changes are as gimmicky as the iphones, you get a bigger device, end of story, Samsung has even said the software is going to the S3. Spec wise, look at it from an user experience point of view, the Z10 is zippy already with no lag, can android say that on their quad cores?

Sure BB10 has a learning curve but once you learn it it becomes second nature

Anyways, theres a good chance I'll finally get mine this week, quite looking forward to it.