Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2013, 05:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i set one up for a customer, seems rugged and fast. Not bad, but nothing to write home about either. I think BB fans will be happy.. but it won't win over hardened iPhone and Android users.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

I have to wait a while for mine still sadly.

I still don't understand what iOS or android have over this, haven't really heard a solid argument yet except for the app one which gets old.

I'replayed with a few in store and have liked it, it feels nice in the hand, beautiful screen, fast, and it really does flow quite nicely
Old February 10, 2013, 01:23 PM
MVP

I'm not a big app guy, so I get why that might not be a big deal for you. but it seems like a good number of people are, so it's not just an old criticism, but also an extremely relevant one. I ruled out BB10 right away due to the lack of standard controls such as home and back; which is apparently a pretty big deal considering most apps are android ports made with them in mind.
Quote:
I'll always cherish the memory of the approximately 102 hours we had together. You had some charming features, like not having Skype, Netflix, or Instagram apps available. (It was like going back to 2008! A year I loved!) Or requiring a weird bi-directional swipe to get back to your home screen.
My Dead BlackBerry 10, a Eulogy -- Daily Intelligencer

I think Blackberry has done an outstanding job marketing BB10, as evidenced by all the smartphone newbies who are apparently buying them without really knowing why--and perhaps also due to influential shareholders who hung on until launch--but there's no way this is going anywhere but niche, at least in the developed world. Other places, BBM maintains more traction, but that's on low-cost hardware.

I think BB would have had more success building and licensing a built for business Android distribution with BB services and and app suite to extend BBM to consumers on other platforms. It's really hard to imagine them competing with Microsoft, Apple and Google platforms head-on.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Except Skype has already been confirmed as coming and Blackberry is upgrading the android runtime to the most recent so android ports should run better allowing apps like Netflix (already seen running on a the Z10) and instagram to at least come over in some form while more native apps are developed.

There are some apps missing but this is a brand new OS that's been out for DAYS, the apps will come that is not a worry. The reason I don't consider this a valid argument is simply that, new OS vs OSes that have been around for 6 or so years. Yes there are some apps missing for me still, no instapaper or ebay app but there is a good solid base already provided by Blackberry, theres solid calendar, solid notes with evernote integration, there's solid doc editor, there's facebook and twitter, turn by turn gps. Yes there can (and will be more) but there are no immediate glaring gaps that I can see. Though I do have to admit going from WebOS to BB10 I'm being flooded with apps. The big apps will come, the Z10 from what I can tell is selling very well here in Vancouver and everyone seems quite upbeat about it, ad that will draw the attention of the big apps.

I will add that there are already some very nice apps out there, Nobex, which is a radio/podcast app, is beautifully done and the devs are amazing behind it, actually had an email conversation with them.

Lack of home and back buttons is a criticism? Really? Swipe up, theres your home button, and that's just a strait swipe up not anything bidirectional. And when ever you need it there is a back button available. In regards to android apps you can pin a navigation bar to be visible which really helps.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

PSA: DO NOT GET THIS PHONE ON BELL. If you do you will be forced into a Blackberry only plan. Bell is the only carrier to be doing this, a normal data plan will not give you data.

Now I just need to find a way to crucify Bell.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well the phone came out stateside the other day, stock plummeted after speculation (loosely based) of low consumer demand so far - yes it's only been out for one day in the states and they are already making claims like that. As a shareholder, I am curious what Canadian's feedback of the device has been, especially enthusiasts such as the ones on this board. I've used the device and such, I just want to know if others have been as pleasantly satisfied as I have been with the new BB10 phones.

I know it's no iPhone/Android killer, but I strongly believe it is a solidly built device with unbeatable security. QNX is a whole new animal, using an efficient and secure kernel design. Such phones can easily find a place in the corporate and government sector, as well as business people and blackberry loyalists. The German government has ordered as many as 40,000 devices while the UK and US are testing the devices for possible use in addition to other mobile systems like iOS.

Last edited by Polygon; March 23, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:12 PM
Allstar

The office gave us one but I'm not a fan. I prefer my iPhone and the Samsungs others have feel the same. The keyboard is better though but the ecosystem is absolute garbage.

CHEERS
Old March 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
Allstar

Games are not there, I work off my phone and spend a lot of time in the hub and browser, my accounting system works great in the browser. I don't think I have massive hands but all these new smart phones feel small in my hands, I personally like it a lot better after I put an ottercase(minus the screen protector) on it. The screen keyboard worried me,but I have gotten used to it and it works well. My wife is still adjusting to hers.

Carry a spare battery or battery pack if you are a heavy user. when I am in the car I just leave it plugged in. Gone are the multi day charges.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I haven't had too much time with it, but I found it un-intuitive to use, just didn't make sense to me.
Almost everyone in the office that has used it and came from an Android has disliked it and have generally gone back to their Android device.
Yes, it's a great improvement over their previous product, but it's not going to get them back to #1 again. And with the upcoming Androids in April, their hardware is going to look even more lackluster.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Carry a spare battery or battery pack if you are a heavy user. when I am in the car I just leave it plugged in. Gone are the multi day charges.
Turn LTE off on your phone. Ever since I did this and updated my Z10, I went from getting 6 hours of heavy use up to an easy 12 hours or more.