Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well QNX has a long history, it's a good OS. It's used in the space program, nuclear reactors and even car entertainment systems. You don't see it failing very often.

However, I have no idea what RIM is gonna do to it.
Old January 31, 2013, 08:55 AM
Allstar

RIM will never march back to it's heights but a solid 3rd would be welcoming if they start focusing on innovation instead of "catch - up". Seems to me that there latest devices are nothing extraodinary and only reflect the "catch-up" mentality, therefore the lack of vision is still prevalent and there stock price is reflecting this as well. Next quarter sales figures will determine it's viability and a 3rd tear contender.

CHEERS
Old February 1, 2013, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

honestly I'm not quite understanding all he nay sayers really. They have ,launched a device that is at least on par in performance and abilities and seems to have 90% of the apps that people need, there's no netflix but I .really don't care about that on my phone. Sure there's no killer app or feature debeauting with this phone but for me its all about HOW its used. The hub and the gestures are beautiful, notifications are really well done with peak and I think this is actually the first virtural keyboard that I think I could actually use. And its got a screen size that isn't trying to become a tablet. And expandable storage makes me happy.

yes the q10 should have been ready but I think they are still working on getting apps to scale to that 1:1 screen. I personally would have preferred a portrait slider but I don't see one coming soon, next year maybe.

for me this is a better concept than iOS or android. The features I think can make this device sing once you adjust to them. Even the no button swipe up from the bottom to unlock the device is beautiful simplistic.

there is nothing the other platforms can do that this can't and the apps are coming. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is that it relies on bing for its maps and turn by turn, but maybe if this pick-up some speed google might correct that.
Old February 2, 2013, 05:45 AM
Allstar

Smile

I'm glad you have confidence in the product and hope that Blackberry does well but as you mentioned no Netflix and an assumption that there are "enough" apps. I disagree since they are miles behind the customization with apps for my needs. Also had too many bad experiences with there phones in the past for me to trust there line any longer . The most important aspect for me is service. Apple has my win for many reasons including cloud, more memory out of the box and most importantly service. I had 3 replaced due to negligence on the spot, in one case I dropped it in a hot tub...dried it off, brought it in and they gave me a new one , connected to iCloud and everything was there.

I would like to see them do well for Canada but I have my doubts. Hope I'm wrong :)

CHEERS
Old February 2, 2013, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
there is nothing the other platforms can do that this can't .
Yeahhhhh going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you on that one.

Might be able to do everything iOS can... But the customization abilities of android are definitely not in bb10

And I still don't really see the advantage of this, it looks okay but offers nothing worth changing over to, especially 3 years late in the game
Old February 2, 2013, 12:09 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've used the Z10, it's nice, but there's nothing compelling for an Android user to move to the BB10 platform; from iOS, sure, but iOS is an ancient platform now that needs a serious overhaul.
BB diehards though will absolutely love the new platform; BlackBerry did a good job playing catchup, but they're going to get surpassed (quite a bit) with the next gen of Androids and those aren't too far away.
Old February 2, 2013, 03:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Yeahhhhh going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you on that one.

Might be able to do everything iOS can... But the customization abilities of android are definitely not in bb10

And I still don't really see the advantage of this, it looks okay but offers nothing worth changing over to, especially 3 years late in the game
Was speaking more in terms of apps and functionality. I've never found widgets all that useful really, a good notification system is preferable for me in terms of glancable information which the peek and hub functions cover better I think than android's widgets. I cant argue against changeable launchers really except I prefer the stock BB10 experience to any non stock android launcher I've used. And really if you want to argue about customization WebOS still trumps everything that I've seen in that regard.

And honestly, the email experience is terrible on android once you either use more than 1 gmail or anything other than gmail.

I'm not entirely sure what killer feature everyone wanted, the first iteration of these devices are more how you do stuff than what. Sure its not going to make everyone drop their Samsung GS3s or iPhones but the Z10 is a solid device that can compete toe to toe with these other top end devices.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

Has anyone picked a Z10 up yet? Any thoughts now that the actual device it out?
Old February 9, 2013, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Has anyone picked a Z10 up yet? Any thoughts now that the actual device it out?
I actually haven't even heard of anyone getting it.
Old February 9, 2013, 04:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I will get two next week. I have a buddy that works at Rogers and he is on vacation. Tried phoning and the regular phone monkeys overwhelmed me with stupid.