Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Canadian Privacy Commish Says WhatsApp Violates Privacy Laws (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/59395-canadian-privacy-commish-says-whatsapp-violates-privacy-laws.html)

SKYMTL January 28, 2013 08:02 PM

Canadian Privacy Commish Says WhatsApp Violates Privacy Laws

Popular cross platform instant messaging app Whatsapp has run afoul of Canada’s privacy laws, says privacy commissioner Jennifer Stoddart.

A statement released today by Stoddart’s office, and the Dutch Data protection Authority, said that WhatsApp violated Canadian and Dutch privacy laws dealing with retention and disclosure of personal data.

Read more here: Canadian Privacy Commish Says WhatsApp Violates Privacy Laws | Hardware Canucks

frontier204 January 29, 2013 06:08 AM

It's interesting to see things like this actually reaching inquiries and commissions, although I wonder how much of a difference it makes when the apps pop up faster than they can be investigated.

Maybe it's tinfoil hat, but I assume every app I get takes all the information it can get from the set of permissions it has. For one, that means I don't download any app that says "Read phone state and identity" + Internet access on my phone, as I assume that means it will get your number and call home with it.

Thund3rball January 29, 2013 12:14 PM

I am new to Android with a Nexus 7. And almost every free app I want to download (even things like Live Wallpapers) want to access my Phone, IDs etc etc... WTH is up with that? I know my Nexus 7 is not a phone but the notification made me sidestep. I can understand if it was related to the function of the app. But it's on everything and anything. Is it like that for paid apps too?

Perineum January 29, 2013 01:02 PM

Some of the apps explain in the description what they actually do. The permission it's asking for is ominous, but what it does via the explanation is typically pretty low key.

sswilson January 29, 2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thund3rball (Post 687312)
I am new to Android with a Nexus 7. And almost every free app I want to download (even things like Live Wallpapers) want to access my Phone, IDs etc etc... WTH is up with that? I know my Nexus 7 is not a phone but the notification made me sidestep. I can understand if it was related to the function of the app. But it's on everything and anything. Is it like that for paid apps too?

They're probably all using some form of generic form that covers all bases.

The use of generic terms for third party apps was one of the first things that set off alarm bells WRT facebook.

ShinraCorp January 29, 2013 04:58 PM

It's true what the article says, I checked on my Windows Phone 8 device and it only asked for access to location, nothing about an address book or anything.

Can be a serious problem if they do not fix it soon.

Thund3rball January 30, 2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 687317)
Some of the apps explain in the description what they actually do. The permission it's asking for is ominous, but what it does via the explanation is typically pretty low key.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 687319)
They're probably all using some form of generic form that covers all bases.

The use of generic terms for third party apps was one of the first things that set off alarm bells WRT facebook.

Ya I'll have to read up more on what these apps do. I like that the permissions are there for me to see before I download. And I read the reviews to see what others say about the permissions. Doesn't always sound so innocent. When I have a more specific example (when I'm at home and browsing the Play store) I'll post some stuff I find.