Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2013, 03:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default New Laptop for light - med CS6 work

Hey guys,

Looking for a new laptop / tablet PC(highly optional) for my GF..

Reasonable budget of $1000 ~ $1200 (630 - 750) (the less the better)

Her usage will be mainly for work (colourist for a comic, CS6 and a few other graphical packages)
Nothing too heavy being done but it is CS6 still so can't be a slouch either.

Main points:
8GB ram (6GB will do, 4 at a push),
15" - 15.6" screen would be perfect as any bigger and it's too heavy and any smaller and the screen is too small to work on (though if it's a table then she'll be happy enough)
APU will be fine (especially if it's Intel HD 4000 or better, AMD options?)
She'll probably do SOME gaming on it but it will be light-weight stuff and she's not interested in top end graphics.
SSD with a HDD secondary drive would be ideal, small cache drive would be ok, no ssd / space for second drive is :(
Ultrabooks are probably out of my price range but their weight would be an advantage, Lighter is better.

My main thing here is I don't keep up with the mobile monikers and there is a confusing rage available of different versions of processors at different speeds.

Also, AMD Vs Intel.. As far as I'm aware the Ivy chips walk all over the AMD alternatives for the likes of what she will use it..
BUT if there is a significant saving to be made and only a slight performance hit then I would definitely look at them

Will most likely be buying from either Ukraine or UK:

Rozetka.ua | Laptops (this is in russian, chrome will translate it pretty well)
Overclockers UK - Laptops & Tablets
Scan.co.uk - Laptops & Tablets

Obviously I can look at Dell etc too (.co.uk sites)
Gives you an idea of the prices I'm looking at.

No os / unix versions where available as I have a copy of Win 7 64 bit that I can register on it.
Battery life isn't really important but would be good to be able to watch a movie or 2 on 1 charge or get a couple of hrs of Photoshop done.
It'll be used plugged in 95% of the time that it's being used.

Last thing is, she has an ipad3 which she uses for skype, browsing etc so this will be 95% work use only, no need of any bells or whistles whatsoever beyond whats above.

Thanks for any and all input.. Suggestions on which processors to look at will be good as will suggestions of particular models.

Last point, she is used to using Old low end computers/laptops.. The fastest this she has is her ipad3 / PS3 so this really really doesn't need to be able to blitz CS6 by any means.
That said, I don't want CS6 locking up on her every time she does something (mostly colouring and shading/highlights, not much in effects / rendering etc)

Last edited by Dzzope; January 24, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old January 24, 2013, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Update, she is using :
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @2.66GHz
Installed memory ram: 4.00GB
System type: 64_bit Operating system

This is her work PC and is plenty good enough for her in performance / response (no SSD and I'm guessing built in Graphics or a very low end discreet card)
Old January 24, 2013, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Anyone?

Basically need advice on the processor to get, the difference between the m qm qu u whatever different lines of cpu's they have.

If anyone can advise on the mobile cpu which will match or beat a q6700 from amd or intel I can work from there
Old January 24, 2013, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Photoshop on a latop , I have no real experience with photoshop but I do know that laptops can get very hot when pushed and I would figure that Photoshop. on anything would push it and create heat mind you I both the laptops here are a few yrs old.
I used to have an OS on a flash drive and use that when I was out and about so that I could do a little bit of work and what not sure saved me allot of halling around things I am not sure if you could do the same with photoshop but I thought that I would put it out there.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm running CS6 on my aged desktop with no issues. I have had Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator all open at the same time working away. On a better system some things may go a bit faster but all in all I am pretty happy with the performance.

Win XP
AMD X2 5000+
2GB Ram
GTX275
500GB 7200rpm HDD

I would think any modern laptop with an Intel i3 (or better) CPU, 4GB+ Ram and a dedicated GPU will run CS6 pretty darn smoothly.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 25, 2013, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Dunno about that, There an i5 and 4GB in my work laptop and it's a bit of a dog (though it is 32 bit aaand I can't control what they install / run as default)
Old January 25, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I know exactly what you mean. I have an i5 work laptop and it is slow as hell. And I absolutely believe it is all the crap IT has to put on there. Because my 6 year old Dell M1530 with Vista64, T7500 & 3GB Ram runs better than this i5. I hate work machines, they always suck.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 26, 2013, 01:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bump. Anyone knowledgeable enough in these mobile cpu's to advise on what I should be looking at as a minimum from both camps?

Really interested in what the new AMD's can do (especially after seeing the potential of the 8350 on Tek syndicate)
Old January 26, 2013, 09:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

a good quality screen is where " the rubber meets the road" if shes doing design work. i dont know why the cpu is such a focus when any processor in that price range will function perfectly. look into the Sony S series ( or any Sony for that matter, beautiful screens ), and get a model with the highest vertical resolution you can afford.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Screen size and quality is not an issue, she does colouring for a comic and has a set swatch for all the important stuff so she doesn't need an amazing screen.
Won't touch sony, sorry.. Seen far too many Vaio or whatever they are called burning up and they are well over-priced.
If I want to get a good screen I'll just pick something with an IPS panel.

Basically I want to find the best bang for buck processor for what she will use, I don't mind buying her a laptop BUT I don't want to over / under spend either.
I want something that will run Photoshop and a few other things without being shit but sticking to the lowest spec possible.

Really, can no-one say look at x line from Intel and y from AMD with clocks of 123 or higher?