Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
Top Prospect

Default Why do people think Windows RT is confusing?

I keep reading how Microsoft hasn't made the difference between Windows 8 and Windows RT clear and when I look for reviews on new units tech pages often have articles linked to the reviews explaining "the rather confusing differences". I just cannot understand how people in any way can be confused by the concept of Windows RT. It never even occourred to me that it should be a problem until I discovered the mass of articles explaining what I thought was obvious.

Windows RT: Modern UI and desktop is both available, but expect for the pre-installed software such as Paint (I believe?) and Office '13 Home and Student it will only run apps installed from the Microsoft Store - exatly like an iPad will only run apps from the App Store and not software like a normal computer. The desktop is also used for file management I've been told.

Windows 8: Everything that Windows RT has but fully capable of running software like any other desktop or laptop computer. In other words it's a complete computer experience and not 'just' a tablet.

Unless I am missing something important, how on earth can people not understand that Windows RT is simply a tablet interface like on any other tablet that will allow you to use the pre-installed Office software as a nice bonus?

(No rant intended, I honestly do not get people's confusion).
Old January 14, 2013, 09:28 AM
Allstar

did Apple call their tablet OS "OSX rt" ?

non tech savvy peoples expect a Windows to be a Windows
Old January 14, 2013, 09:35 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Bingo. People expect to be able to install 'windows' software on an OS called..."windows". Most people dont understand - or even care about - arm vs x86 architecture....they just want to be able to plunk their LOLcat icon making software on their new 'puter. :P

MS needs to educate peeps...or call it something different...like MS Surface OS.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2013, 09:39 AM
Top Prospect

I get your points about people expecting "Windows" to be "Windows", but what I don't get is a) how it's Microsoft's fault that people don't do just a minimum of research about what they are buying and b) why the difference is confusing. You don't even need to explain about arm vs x86 architechture just that one is a tablet and will only run apps and that the other is like any other computer.
Old January 14, 2013, 10:06 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Do people research which toaster to buy? Nope. They expect it to make toast. Same with microwaves/fridges/TVs. Hell few even research which phone to buy. Most people consider a computer to just be another appliance, they expect it to work just like the generation before it worked. IE Its MS fault as they are the ones who purposely gave it the Windows monikor. Anyone with an ounce of sense could have called this one looong before it was RTM'ed let alone SOLD at retail. All they had to do was give it a dif name....and then peeps would not blindly assume it was like the Windows on their computers. Instead MS wanted to cash in on the Windows brand name recognition...and now are paying the price for it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2013, 10:27 AM
Top Prospect

I guess it takes me aback because I myself am the type of person who does a lot of research before buying anything and leaves nothing to chance. I cannot see how people can pay hundreds of dollars without even knowing what they get for them. :)

Although I see your point, I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Microsoft in this matter. However, I see what Microsoft should've done differently. This really proves how companies often need to aim their products at the lowest common denominator (can you say that in English?) Why the difference between RT and 8 is described and talked about as "confusing" is still beyond me, though.
Old January 14, 2013, 02:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Although most of us are tech enthusiasts on this forum, you can't expect everyone to be one. I can see a lot of people buying the RT's trying to load their who knows what software they need, and then being disappointed when they find out that it just doesn't work. Basically, consumer electronics need to be explained in "for dummies" form or non-enthusiasts will be left .
Old January 14, 2013, 02:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

talking about the surface i wonder how long it will take before somebody crack/jailbreak the surface lol
Old January 15, 2013, 01:18 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

By "crack/jailbreak" the surface, do you mean to enable them to run regular windows programs? If I'm not mistaken, it's not software locked. x86 programs are written and designed to run on x86 platforms, and it's just not compatible with ARM cpu's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong however....
Old January 15, 2013, 09:53 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Speaking of Toasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marute View Post
I guess it takes me aback because I myself am the type of person who does a lot of research before buying anything and leaves nothing to chance. I cannot see how people can pay hundreds of dollars without even knowing what they get for them. :)

Although I see your point, I can't help feeling a bit sorry for Microsoft in this matter. However, I see what Microsoft should've done differently. This really proves how companies often need to aim their products at the lowest common denominator (can you say that in English?) Why the difference between RT and 8 is described and talked about as "confusing" is still beyond me, though.
On my 2nd new toaster in 2 months and need to find another one because none of then toast the whole piece of bread unless you flip them.