Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2013, 09:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Lol I can never get enough when people put on tinfoil hats about phone security...
Old January 13, 2013, 10:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
Prison Planet.com » You Read It Here First: Google?s ?Ambient Background? Spy Tech

Phone listening in on you 24/7 to "advertise moar bettur 2 u ". Can't turn this off btw.

» Smartphone Apps Now Use Microphone to Record Your Conversations Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

EULA agreement quote

"As you can see from the image above, app companies now demand the right to;
- “Record Audio” – “Allows the app to record audio with the microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.”
- “Take pictures and videos” – “Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.”"

Wake up to the freedom phone.
Why would they want to record anything I say? I'm a geologist I spend most of my time talking about rocks. On my spare time I talk about video games, I really couldn't care less who hears my conversations.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see why folks think it's tinfoil hat material that they want to listen in / watch what you're doing in order to better target marketing to you... they've publically released the idea that settop boxes could have cameras using facial recognition software to target you when you're in the room based on your previous viewing habits. How is this any different?

It's creepy, and is honestly one of the reasons why I have very little interest in an android device.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 13, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smart TV's already have/use facial recognition and other sensing tech to track what you do in front of them. Sad thing is that one day that will be the only available TV. I also feel android is more of a data collection agency than anything, although I give up as it is far too useful as a phone. I just want to be put back into the matrix....
Old January 13, 2013, 01:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
Considering Android is always based off of Linux, I don't reeaallllyyy see the difference.
Android while using the Linux kernel is basically a giant java virtual machine, Ubuntu is able to natively execute c,c++, etc, code. This means it will be easy to have a high level of source similarity between desktop applications and phone applications, all that would be required in many cases would be recompiling the code for ARM to get the programs to run, issues with having a desktop UI on a phone aside.
Old January 13, 2013, 02:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

In the links I provided you can see the agreement you have to sign on your phone to use it does entitle google to spy on you. They are open about it, as you can see from the first link. Read your gmail account waiver too. To use my university(google) email account I had to consent to an illegal waiver that would have me give up inalienable rights.

The whole point is that to use the hardware you purchase and own, you have to sign inalienable rights away. In Canada you have the right to be free from arbitrary search and seizure. Because you cannot use integral hardware pieces such as the camera and microphone without "consenting" to being spied on, it is arbitrary.

I also realize that there's gotta be people hacking their android phones and running whatever apps they want on it, but I don't have that kind of time (right now).

The Ubuntu phone is the freedom phone because, theoretically (assuming they told the truth that it is not a port but in fact is Ubuntu), you have total control of all hardware devices integral to the phone right out of the box.

For myself, I do fear e-theft. I'm currently in a fourth year science student at the U of A with a double major in physics and math and am considering a graduate program. I do worry about having my original material stolen from my computer. I also worry about my tax files, business data, investment data, bitcoin wallet, and personal data stolen. The best place to have sensitive data is on a self contained linux usb stick that is encrypted and stored in a safe place (i.e. safety deposit box or fireproof safe), and i'm hoping this phone also comes with native encryption, like Ubuntu does.

The other alarming fact about a native backdoor app in the camera and microphone is the potential to get hacked. I'm not a software developer, in fact I can only program in DOS and html(if u can even call it programming), but if the samsung TV can be hacked so easily, because there is native remote access functions for the camera and mic, couldn't a mobile native remote access program get hijacked as well?
Old January 13, 2013, 05:45 PM
Allstar

An "inalienable" right cannot be signed away. Consent forms that attempt to do so are not binding in law (though other clauses in the contract may still be). Just because a clause is in a piece of legal boilerplate does not make it instantly binding whether you sign said document or not. Most such have a paragraph at the end indicating that not all sections may be valid in all jurisdictions etc.

And arbitrary search and seizure pertains to police and government agencies. If you want to voluntarily let someone search or seize you, well you have that right too :)

Last edited by NyteOwl; January 13, 2013 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
Old January 13, 2013, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I don't see why folks think it's tinfoil hat material that they want to listen in / watch what you're doing in order to better target marketing to you... they've publically released the idea that settop boxes could have cameras using facial recognition software to target you when you're in the room based on your previous viewing habits. How is this any different?

It's creepy, and is honestly one of the reasons why I have very little interest in an android device.
I wouldn't mind companies better targeting me from what I view, I'm really not interested in tampax commercials... As a matter of fact I probably wouldn't mind watching commercials if they actually showed me something I might be interested in. To me this isn't a bad thing.
Old January 13, 2013, 07:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I wouldn't mind companies better targeting me from what I view, I'm really not interested in tampax commercials... As a matter of fact I probably wouldn't mind watching commercials if they actually showed me something I might be interested in. To me this isn't a bad thing.
I think it's a generational thing WRT expectation of privacy. I'm fairly open on the forums about who I am, but that's on my terms. I have absolutely no desire to allow any marketing group to be able to track my habits in any way shape or form unless I'm given the option to opt out.

edit:

And as far as the Smart TVs / Set Top boxes go, I'll be taping over the camera lens the day I have no choice but to have one in my home.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; January 13, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
An "inalienable" right cannot be signed away. Consent forms that attempt to do so are not binding in law (though other clauses in the contract may still be). Just because a clause is in a piece of legal boilerplate does not make it instantly binding whether you sign said document or not. Most such have a paragraph at the end indicating that not all sections may be valid in all jurisdictions etc.

And arbitrary search and seizure pertains to police and government agencies. If you want to voluntarily let someone search or seize you, well you have that right too :)

Bang on!