Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2013, 04:09 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Samsung’s New Exynos 5 Octa to Target Tegra 4 & Snapdragon 800

Confirming several months of rumors, Samsung has announced their Exynos 5 Octa, an eight core powerhouse which may be the new top dog in the smartphone processor wars.

Read more here: Samsung?s New Exynos 5 Octa to Target Tegra 4 & Snapdragon 800 | Hardware Canucks

Honestly, this is getting crazy. At this rate, cell phones will easily match the performance of low-end computers in the next 24 months....
Old January 11, 2013, 12:04 AM
Top Prospect

Didn't we already do this with PC hardware? hardware is multi-core but software is single threaded so it can't take advantage of multiple cores.

It's really awesome that Samsung and all these other companies are releasing multi-core CPU/APU/ARM whatever you want to call it but unless they can magically translate single threaded software into multi-core optimized software. I don't really see point or benefit to this unless I've missed a page and don't know about the magical translation that happens on the fly..

In fact, I would rather like to see a decent dual or quad core CPU that consumes less than 10% of current gen CPU while on load. THAT would be something worthwhile to get excited about. Although on a second thought it might be nice to see something like this in a one of those smaller PC (PC in a drive, Gumstix, etc.) and use it as a media player.
Old January 11, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangrisser View Post
Didn't we already do this with PC hardware? hardware is multi-core but software is single threaded so it can't take advantage of multiple cores.

It's really awesome that Samsung and all these other companies are releasing multi-core CPU/APU/ARM whatever you want to call it but unless they can magically translate single threaded software into multi-core optimized software. I don't really see point or benefit to this unless I've missed a page and don't know about the magical translation that happens on the fly..

In fact, I would rather like to see a decent dual or quad core CPU that consumes less than 10% of current gen CPU while on load. THAT would be something worthwhile to get excited about. Although on a second thought it might be nice to see something like this in a one of those smaller PC (PC in a drive, Gumstix, etc.) and use it as a media player.
You are thinking too small... these are not just for cell phones but could also be used in low power servers.