Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2013, 05:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Why buy an ultrabook?

Alright Ultrabooks existed for what 3-4 years now? I still do not see the reason why the have one. I mean it's a light weighted laptop with a small SSD in it. That doesn't justify it's high 800$+ price tag, so perhaps I'm not understanding it. Can someone tell me why should people care about it?

It'll help me very much, so if I have a client asking what's the difference between an ultrabook and a laptop, I can give them a clear answer.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Weight, form factor and style. It costs more to engineer technology in smaller places, so I'm assuming that's where a lot of the extra cost comes from. That and SSDs are more expensive than HDDs.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's for the same people who might want something like a Macbook Air. It's for some people, just not all people.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They are thin and light with good battery life, if you need something that you will use mostly for word processing and you travel a lot they are perfect, they actually have quite a bit of power packed into them too so when you need some performance you aren't left there waiting forever.
Old January 9, 2013, 10:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

An ultrabook is a good compromise between a laptop and a tablet. Good battery life, decent performance, choice of screensize etc. I was planning on getting a Surface pro, but based on it's expected sub 4 hour battery life I think I may go with an ultrabook instead.

Intel sets the specs for something to be officially called an ultrabook. It changes with each platform. Look at the alledged minimum battery life for the next gen.

Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old January 9, 2013, 10:33 PM
Allstar

i don't know anyone who would prefer their laptop to weigh more. every one i've ever met or seen on the internet prefers their laptop to weigh less. it's really that simple; ultrabooks have something you want. Not aware of anything under $800 that fits within a 3.5lb profile (netbooks don't count here - let's get real)
Old January 10, 2013, 12:20 AM
Top Prospect

Put it this way:

Asus Zenbook Prime UX31A-DH71 from NCIX: $1429.99

Desktop with similar config:
Intel Core i7 - $300
DDR3 4GB - $40
256GB SSD - $200
Motherboard - $120
Monitor 24" - $160
Keyboard/Mouse/Webcam/Speakers - $60
Case - $50
Power Supply - $80
Wireless Network Card + Bluetooth USB Adapter - $30
Windows License - $100

Total Value - $1140

Assembly + 1 Year Accidental Damage Coverage - $150

It's not most accurate price nor does it reflect identical part in comparison to the Asus Zenbook Prime that I am comparing a premium product against what I believe is a median value for those products. Depending on quality and personal opinion prices can significantly vary especially on peripherals. It varies from company to company on what they charge on assembly or additional coverage but knowing NCIX charges 50 dollars for assembly and I think 75 for premium assembly PLUS Accidental Damage Coverage for 1 year, I thought 150 is a reasonable number. (50 dollars for assembly and then 100 dollars for warranty which is well below 10% of unit price.)

We did end up with a cheaper desktop that outperforms the Ultrabook. Having said this, even without the assembly and warranty do I think paying extra 290 dollar is worth it to be able to carry it around with you all the time? I think so in fact, I would probably buy it in a heartbeat if I had the money for it.

I hope this reply changes some people's view about Ultrabook. Yes they are relatively more money compared to other laptops but in all honesty it's not much more and you should be getting flagship/premium product that not only performs well but fulfills a status quo that some people desire.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll go down as saying I don't really care about weight too much, I'd be okay for something up to about 10lbs but at that weight it's specs and battery life better be phenomenal.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:45 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I'll go down as saying I don't really care about weight too much, I'd be okay for something up to about 10lbs but at that weight it's specs and battery life better be phenomenal.
At 10lbs, it better come with auto reloading, targetting zombie slashing axe shooting gun and access to Skynet and teleport Scarlett Johansson with a press of a button.

On a more serious note, I would expect performance monstrosity at 10 lbs with relatively reasonable battery life...
Old January 10, 2013, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

An Ultrabook is simply a laptop that meets Intel's specs for being an Ultrabook; I'm willing to bet that the branding also costs money. Think of the "Centrino" thing Intel did before - I got a laptop with a Broadcom WiFi card, so it wasn't "Centrino". There are great laptops out there that aren't "Ultrabooks", for instance any laptop with an AMD processor (since Ultrabook is an Intel branding). I just purchased an Ultrabook because I wanted a SSD cached drive, and for some reason only the Ultrabooks had such a storage system. I really didn't care for the "thinness" or the anti-theft tech, but I cared a lot about the SSD and anything that isn't an ultrabook for the consumer space is crippled with a slow HDD. (Yes there's buying a separate Momentus XT but I don't want to have to modify a brand new laptop because they're just not fun to work on, with the flimsy cables internally.)

If you have a customer who's asking what's the difference, just point them to Ultrabook specs. As always with computers, just look at the parts the user needs regardless of silly marketing terms.