Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2013, 07:34 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Review Comment Thread

There's no better example of a modern Ultrabook than Lenovo's X1 Carbon. It is slim, exceedingly well built, has a 1600x900 matte screen, sports an Ivy Bridge processor and weighs under 3 lbs. With a starting price of $1200, the X1 Carbon is expensive but this quintessential Ultrabook has everything a professional could possibly want.

Read more here: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon Ultrabook Review

Old January 6, 2013, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This was the best part by far.

Quote:
(unlike the Series 9’s testicle-searing 130 degrees)

I've always liked Lenovo's laptops purely for the whole mouse stick/mouse button dealio.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 6, 2013, 11:13 PM
Allstar

Carbon fiber is the future chassis material for all PCs for the reasons Sky mentioned in his review. Apple plans to switch to it from aluminim this year but Lenovo beat them to it.

As for the screen, an updated Windows 8 X1 Carbon with a touch screen should be out by now.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I wish they made a 12.5" version. I wish there were more 12.5" notebooks period. I have an x120e. I love everything about it except the E350 ULV. My primary mobile is now a Samsung NP350U2B, a 12.5" unit. I love it even more than the x120e. It has almost the same dimensions as the 11.6" x120e with a slim-bezel design, same 3lb weight, a matte screen, great battery, great keyboard and a full-speed mobile Core i5 processor. It went EOL pretty quick because it was part of Samsung's Series 3 and I think it offered too much value. I'm thinking of getting a X220i replacement IPS panel to make the unit near perfect.

An X1 in 12.5"... yes please.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The X230 isnt that much bigger/heavier than the X1 Carbon. Not quite as thin, but at least you get a docking port. Still a fantastic little notebook!

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
As for the screen, an updated Windows 8 X1 Carbon with a touch screen should be out by now.
True, but seriously, does anyone really want touch on a non-convertible notebook?
Old January 7, 2013, 10:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Great review.

As a note, all current think-pads have a BIOS setting to reverse the left CTRL - FN buttons. Helps lots if you find your self touch-typing and pressing the left FN button by mistake over the CTRL button for features like COPY and PASTE in a word-processor, etc. Reversing them in BIOS is among the first things I do when setting up my Thinkpad. I prefer the page up/down buttons in the old-school location (upper right corner) compared to where the directional keys are now.

All in all this product reads like a classic Thinkpad... quality built, rugged, well performing, best in class KB/trackpad/touchpad, w/under performing (albeit matte finish) display.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah we got these in at work about a month or so ago. Definitely nice machines, but I found the screen quality to be lacking. Colour seemed a bit off with major "screen door" effect. The screen on my T430 is far better IMO and is still matte. Not sure why Lenovo just didn't use that same panel. Also the touchpad didn't seem to be super responsive on it. Better than some but it still missed some of my taps/clicks.

We also happened to get in brand new Macbook Air's as well, and as much as I hate Apple, I think I'd take the Air over the X1.

We're getting Lenovo's Tablet 2 in later this month which I'm looking forward to playing with. I surely hope Windows 8 can run fluidly on an Atom though...
Old February 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
Trial Member

Just to note: I have an X1 Carbon, purchased from Lenovo's Canadian site back in October 2012. It has the Ericsson WWAN card built in, and it works fine on Canadian Telecoms (both Rogers and Telus). I've also used it with ATT GoPhone SIM, and a Mexican Telcel SIM. Works fine no issues, a great convenience. I'm running Windows 8 and it detects the SIM, no APN settings required to be entered (except for the ATT SIM which needed a different APN entered).

I was going to order another X1C for my wife, but it seems the WWAN option is no longer available from Lenovo.com. You can still get a model with Ericsson card built in from Thinkpad dealers but they don't seem to be offering the customization online.

Cheers,

Chris