Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2013, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Tablet advice

Hello everyone. I haven't been keeping up to the tablet market recently. I've been thinking about getting one for work, but there are a lot of options. I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 It seems really good, and decent price. It also comes with a stylus with a small tip *giggidy* which I believe I would use for scribbling down notes. I have always had the iphone, so I haven't seen the quality/type of apps available for android.
Does anyone have any other suggestions I should take into consideration?
Cheers,
Old January 4, 2013, 09:11 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Note 10.1 is a good one, so is the 10in Nexus tablet if you can find one.

I am using the Acer a700 and its pretty solid since Jelly Bean came out for it. The Asus tablets that I have tried (ie. Prime, TF300, Infinity) all had some major issue. I gave up on the Infinity since the cheap flash nand in there made the tablet quite choppy when you were downloading files, or doing something that accessed the nand a lot.

Until 64-128gb tablets become available, I'll be sticking to ones that have SD card slots. Not sure if the Note has that feature (the Nexus does not).
Fold for team #54196
Old January 5, 2013, 02:51 PM
Top Prospect

I don't know what you are working with, but I think it's worth taking into account that the Windows RT tablets come with Word, Excel and Powerpoint + have USB support which I think makes them an option to consider as well.
Old January 5, 2013, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marute View Post
I don't know what you are working with, but I think it's worth taking into account that the Windows RT tablets come with Word, Excel and Powerpoint + have USB support which I think makes them an option to consider as well.
Polaris Office on Android does all the basics needed for Office.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Polaris Office on Android does all the basics needed for Office.
I actually wasn't aware of that. Having access to apps that does the "office-job" properly does bring more value to any platform in my opinion. Nevertheless, I'd personally still go with a Windows tablet of some sort if I were to get a tablet. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm very fond of the Modern UI, but in the end it all comes down to preferences I guess.

Last edited by Marute; January 5, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Thanks for the input guys. I tried the galaxy tab (futureshop didn't have the note in stock) and I like it. I also liked the windows interface too. I haven't played around with windows 8. It seems good for a tablet. Not sure if I'd want my pc os like that, but to each their own. Getting back to the original topic, Im more stuck than ever. I guess more research is upcoming. Do you guys use your tablets for reading books?