Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Mobile Computing (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/)
-   -   Tablet advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/mobile-computing/58938-tablet-advice.html)

Phobia January 4, 2013 09:01 PM

Tablet advice

Hello everyone. I haven't been keeping up to the tablet market recently. I've been thinking about getting one for work, but there are a lot of options. I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 It seems really good, and decent price. It also comes with a stylus with a small tip *giggidy* which I believe I would use for scribbling down notes. I have always had the iphone, so I haven't seen the quality/type of apps available for android.
Does anyone have any other suggestions I should take into consideration?
Cheers,

chrisk January 4, 2013 09:11 PM

Note 10.1 is a good one, so is the 10in Nexus tablet if you can find one.

I am using the Acer a700 and its pretty solid since Jelly Bean came out for it. The Asus tablets that I have tried (ie. Prime, TF300, Infinity) all had some major issue. I gave up on the Infinity since the cheap flash nand in there made the tablet quite choppy when you were downloading files, or doing something that accessed the nand a lot.

Until 64-128gb tablets become available, I'll be sticking to ones that have SD card slots. Not sure if the Note has that feature (the Nexus does not).

Marute January 5, 2013 02:51 PM

I don't know what you are working with, but I think it's worth taking into account that the Windows RT tablets come with Word, Excel and Powerpoint + have USB support which I think makes them an option to consider as well.

enaberif January 5, 2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marute (Post 682380)
I don't know what you are working with, but I think it's worth taking into account that the Windows RT tablets come with Word, Excel and Powerpoint + have USB support which I think makes them an option to consider as well.

Polaris Office on Android does all the basics needed for Office.

Marute January 5, 2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 682382)
Polaris Office on Android does all the basics needed for Office.

I actually wasn't aware of that. Having access to apps that does the "office-job" properly does bring more value to any platform in my opinion. Nevertheless, I'd personally still go with a Windows tablet of some sort if I were to get a tablet. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm very fond of the Modern UI, but in the end it all comes down to preferences I guess. :thumb:

Phobia January 5, 2013 06:59 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I tried the galaxy tab (futureshop didn't have the note in stock) and I like it. I also liked the windows interface too. I haven't played around with windows 8. It seems good for a tablet. Not sure if I'd want my pc os like that, but to each their own. Getting back to the original topic, Im more stuck than ever. I guess more research is upcoming. Do you guys use your tablets for reading books?