Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Mobile Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cheaper Phone Suggestions

So I am looking for opinions on some of the cheaper phones out there.

Basically I am looking at a few of the pre-paid phones for my daughter. The ones I have had my eye on are:
  • Samsung Galaxy Ace II X from Virgin $199 (or Koodo $150)
  • Samsung Galaxy Discover from Telus $99
  • HTC Desire C from Virgin $149
I think that is about it, but I am open to other suggestions. The main thing is it has to have at the least ICS on it, I won't get one that doesn't come shipped with ICS. Second this does not need to be a powerhouse phone but I don't want it to be crap either. As for price I am really wanting to limit it to $200.

Now she already has a phone with virgin and we are going to stick with them for the prepaid so if I get another phone from someone else, Rogers, Bell, Telus, etc. then I will have to get it unlocked. Now that seems to be about 25-35 dollars depending on where you look online. Of course if there is a way to unlock the phone by myself I will do that.

Just remember that this is for my 13 year old daughter so I do not want to spend a ton, hell cheaper is better, but I don't want complete crap. So any input on those models or any others with ICS around the same price would be appreciated very much. Thanks

Old December 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

if only you had asked a week earlier..there was a great deal for the htc one s (virgin) for $0 +$150 tab + $100 rcss gift card at the mobile shop. All sold out now.
Between the 3, the ace 2 x > desire c > discover.
Check best buy and maybe hold off till boxing day.
Old December 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just remember these are purchased out right so none of the "tab" deals or monthly deals work. And so far I am leaning more towards the ace 2 x.

Old December 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would definitely look into used. Galaxy s2 or galaxy nexus should dip around 200. Or nexus s even less.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Definitely the Ace 2 x.
I have researched the shit out of this phone before suggesting it to a friend.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just took a look at that one in the store (well non working one) and found it would be just the right size for my daughter. Really any bigger than that and it would be harder for her to hold onto.

Old December 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That's what I thought as well. Some stores, if you ask nicely, take one working phone out of the packaging and turn it on for you to get a better feel for it. This worked for me at a a kodoo and a virgin mobile mall kiosk.